Surround Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Higo is offline Higo  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Surround Speakers

Hello,
I finished to design my surrond speakers and I appreciated if some of You give me your opinnion:

2 Way system in sealed box:

-MiddWoofer: 6" Made in Argentina with:
Qms 2.29 / Qes 0.73 /Qts 0.55 /Vas 4.23
-Tweeter: Audax AW010E1

Box volume 8 lt (MDF of 9mm 19x31x17 (WxHxD) with a 3mm MDF with finish foil in cedar colour.
Better than fiber glass..acustic foam...www. sonoflex.com
I `ll use 35mm with the following coefficient of sound absoption:
125Hz ----0.1
250Hz-----0.19
500Hz-----0.39
1K----------0.82
2K----------0.97
NRC 0.59 (what`s this? )

XOP:
-Low pass: first order fc=6Khz, L=172uHy
-Zobel net :R= 8.2 ohms and C= 5.6uF
-High pass: Second order fc=6khz, L=120UHy asnd C=3.3uF

Any comments?

Thanks,
Marcelo
Old 25th July 2003, 06:31 PM   #2
7V is offline 7V  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Surround Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by Higo
"There is no emotion; there is peace.There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.There is no passion; there is serenity.There is no death; there is the Force."
I won't comment on your 2-way except to wish you luck with it. Other members are better qualified than I am on that one.

I just had to say, reading your signature quote, you haven't been on the forum recently, have you?
Old 25th July 2003, 06:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not. The true is that I`m member since last year but I posted a little.. . I just married, bought a house, well a lot of things... I didn`t too much free time..
Why the question? Is it not allow SW frases ?
Marcelo
Old 25th July 2003, 09:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i think 7v was tongue-in-cheekily referring to the apparent lack of peace, knowledge, serenity, and in general 'Force', present in the forums of late.

although everyone knows the Force has both dark and light sides...like a halibut. ('duct tape' is so passť.)

/andrew
Old 25th July 2003, 10:11 PM   #5
7V is offline 7V  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I was just kidding. In reality this is the most helpful and friendliest forum I've found.

Now is someone going to look into Marcelo's surround speakers or what?
Old 25th July 2003, 10:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Higo

Is there a reason for the crossover point being so high? Most 6" drivers will be getting fairly directional by that point, and you might also have problems with lobing with the tweeter.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 26th July 2003, 08:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

As these are surround speakers and need to be directional, I can understand why you're XO at 6 KHz, especially since the mix is done in a studio with special attention paid to the directionality of surround sounds.

But, how will the LF driver handle the freq from 3 to 6 KHz? If it cannot do this well, should you then consider using a 4" LF driver instead?

To correlate with postings in another thread, you seem to be XO at freq that are higher than most factory made speakers, never mind other DIYs. I don't understand, are the tweeters not capable of lower?

:)ensen.
Old 26th July 2003, 08:30 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks fot your comments, guys.

Jensen: Unfortunatly my country is not a good market in tweeter area. I mean you can not find good tweeters. I think that I was lucky when I found these Audax. Anyway if you look into the data sheet of Audax you see that they recommended fc at 5khz.. if you need 50w and I have a 80W amplifier .
I measure the frecuency response of the mid woofer and It has good response beetween 3-5K. Then start some kind of ripple...
Marcelo
Old 28th July 2003, 07:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Have you been using acustic foam in your proyects, like I posted? I`m not pretty sure about the amount that I have to use. I know, that It`s reccomendable to leave one of the faces without over (standing wave problem). Is It right?
Marcelo
Old 28th July 2003, 07:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Higo
I measure the frecuency response of the mid woofer and It has good response beetween 3-5K. Then start some kind of ripple...
Marcelo

If your driver's response curve starts getting lumpy at 5k then you will need to roll off it's response a lot lower, or use a very high order crossover, or these ripples will come through in the final box response curve.

As for the foam question, some people say that a box can be overdamped if damping is put on every wall. I personally have never had this problem, but it's something you can tweak when the boxes are finished. I wouldn't worry about it for now, just get as much as you need, and any extra left over at the end could be saved for another project.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!