How to make paper speaker cones? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2003, 08:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How to make paper speaker cones?

I would like to mold and press my own paper driver cones but I have no idea how this is done. Does anyone have any information, web-links, or good books on paper speaker cone manufacturing or just molding paper?

Dont worry about where I'm going to get the rest of the driver, or suggest that I use an existing cone. There is one alternative though. If there is a supplier of paper cones (not the entire driver, just the cones), I would prefer ordering from them rather than DIY. What companies do this? Emminence?

Where there's a will there's a way.

Thanks
Old 25th July 2003, 12:39 AM   #2
tom1356 is offline tom1356  United States
diyAudio Member

Well...if it were me...and just one of these damned monkey knife fights going my way... it will be. I would go to a paper making web site and learn how to make paper. Then you make a mold in the size/shape you want. Viola'! your finished cone pops out.
Please forward .35 per cone royalty to moi. NEXT!
Gracias
Tom
Old 25th July 2003, 01:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Note: Bostonians are always humorous

Tom you forgot to tell Xylenz that paper is made out of trees.

Xylenz essentially tom's mocking is not misdirected. I don't think anybody will know the answer to your question.

Better off searching the internet and e-mailing companies that make paper speaker cones, IMO. Proove me wrong speaker nerds.
Old 25th July 2003, 02:02 AM   #4
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default Yes you CAN!!!!!

It is possible to make a paper cone. It's not easy and you will be making a heavy cone. If you are just replacing a woofer cone try to fabricate one out of construction paper and then strengthen it with an epoxy coating inside and out. If you are going for the real thing you will need acces to a wood lathe and you will have to make a two part form. One out of wood of your choice and a perfect fiting one out of screen mesh or the like. Your paper mash can be paper that is soaked in water with a touch of bleach. When the paper that has been shedded and soaked is really soaked you need to emulsify the mess. Try a drill with a paint mixing paddle. You will have to decide on what kind of a binder will work for you. This is the hard part your soaking liquid will basically determine your binder composition. The recipe will be by trial and error white glue? or maybe something else you may think of. Your form as well should have a great deal of forthought. You need good terminations for the surround edge and your voice coil connection. Not that easy..........
Your two main hurdles are a paper mash that will properly harden.
Maybe paper mash thinned with acetone (with strenuous precautions) and a binder of epoxy. There is a great deal of thought required on a lot of fronts.

The next question is will you hot press the cone or leave it natural???

Lifes a bowl of cherries welcome to the pits

Mark
Old 25th July 2003, 10:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Actually, there are generic manufacturers of speaker components (cones, surrounds, spiders, voice coils, dust caps etc) and there appears to be quite an extensive range available.

We have several suppliers of these here in Australia, and as far as I know they are sourced from the U.S.

A little digging on this track will save you a hell of a lot of work.

Cheers
Old 25th July 2003, 03:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Check with reconing outfits. They may have just what you are looking for.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default diy cones, coil, etc.

hi, bueno, yo hice mis conos para parlantes , el metodo lo invente yo, yambien he probado hacer conos con kevlar y fibra de carbono, les digo que no son lo mejor, pero funcionan bastante bien, quizas mejor que muchos chinos., yambien me he dedicado tiempo a hacer el chasis y el motor a partir de hierros e imanes. cuando tenga tiempo pondre mis experimentos. .. aaah las bobinas tambien las fabrico yo y estas si que quedan 100% al nivel de un rcf o byc. intentare hacerlo en ingles. saludos
Old 16th February 2011, 06:01 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielcaso View Post
hi, well, I did my speaker cones, it invented the method I've tried to make cones Yambio kevlar and carbon fiber, they say they are not the best, but they work quite well, perhaps better than many Chinese., Yambio I've taken the time to do the chassis and engine from iron and magnets. when I have time I will put my experiments. .. aaah coils and also the I fabricate these if you are 100% the level of a or b and c rcf. I will try it in English. Greetings
English please

dave
Old 16th February 2011, 06:13 AM   #9
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You actually don't have to mould the cone. Look how Lowther does it from a flat sheet.
Old 16th February 2011, 12:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's one US manufacturer of speaker parts you can try contacting.

Loudspeaker Components LLC - Lancaster Wisconsin - Manufacturer of speaker cone assemblies

Hide this!Advertise here!