variable baffle step device

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As usual for me, there is no forum where this "belongs."

I have been surfing freepatentsonline.com for "loudspeakers," agog. There's bizarre stuff, stupid stuff, stuff that is almost certainly prior art, and stuff that is "patently" obvious. (Someone recently patented the bass-reflex port mounted outside the cabinet, which falls into BOTH of the last two categories.)

I want to get an idea into the public domain before some fool patents it. (Full disclosure: I HATE PATENTS!)

We all know how to make a passive baffle-step compensator from a resistor and a coil. One fellow, (you know who you are), designed a variable one that uses a single coil and a variable resistor. Another fellow, whom I do not know, designed another that uses a tapped coil and a fixed resistor. It should be apparent that neither is correct. One needs to vary the inductance and the resistance in concert.

So my brilliant idea is to use a tapped coil and a string of resistors in series, and select for the tap and a node between resistors with a two-pole, multi-throw switch. Wait, wait. That's only a "preferred embodiment." You could also use a bank of single resistors rather than nodes in a string of them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.