Biamp: Wich fc ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Higo is offline Higo  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Question Biamp: Wich fc ?

Hi, guys
One year ago I finished to build my first 2 way-speakers with XOP with fc=3Khz.
I used a titanium tweeter which It reaches 2Khz.
Presenty, Im building an amplifier and, in the future, a XOA. Then Im thinking in bi-amp.
For 2 way-speakers with the same tweeter that I described before, what is the optimal cut frecuency if I use a XOA? Could I use the same (3Khz)? I was reading the article
about bi-amp in Elliot Sound, but Im little confused, `cause He uses 3 way-speakers.
Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks,
Marcelo.
Old 24th July 2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Normally two way speakers would be bi-amped to the sub or subs at a frequency in the bottom range of the lower part of the two-way.

Usually, if you are using line level crossovers ( after the pre amp but before the power amps) up in the 3k range, that system is being tri-amped with a pair of amps for each range of lows, mids and highs -

Think about it along those lines and that will probably put you on track

Later

Ken L
Old 24th July 2003, 08:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank for your answer.
I dont have a sub and I dont think to build/buy one cause I dont have space and Im very please with the bass response of my speakers. I build a 2 way speakers with a midwoofer of 8"...
Then...3Khz ???
Marcelo
Old 24th July 2003, 08:24 PM   #4
Konrad is offline Konrad  Norway
diyAudio Member

2 Way system with 8" to 3Khz. Consider the transfer-funksjon in your speaker filter before making line level filter, then it should bee possible to make near ore equal to your 'ideal response' (u know youre speaker data's i supose?)
Old 24th July 2003, 08:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Konrad
2 Way system with 8" to 3Khz. Consider the transfer-funksjon in your speaker filter before making line level filter, then it should bee possible to make near ore equal to your 'ideal response' (u know youre speaker data's i supose?)

Yes, I know the TS parametes of my woofer, `cause I have to measure them to design the box (They are not Vifa or ScanSpeak, they are made for a argentinian company and, in the beginnins, I didn`t trust very much in them until I visited the factory....
Anyway, I don`t have the data here, rigth now. Tomorrow I`ll show a picture of mi speakers, the TS and the filter that I buid.
See you
Marcelo
Old 24th July 2003, 09:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The T/S parameters aren't going to be of any help in determining your crossover to the tweeter. You'll need a response curve. An impedance curve wouldn't hurt either.
Old 25th July 2003, 04:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well, I post all the information that I have:
Woofer 8":
SLP 90db/80W/8ohms
Qms 2.84
Qes 0.82
Qts 0.64
Fs 46Hz
Vas 49
I measured all this values. I found very good response from 80 Hz to 3.5k.
I used second order Bessel filter with:
Fc 2500hz
C 4.7uF
L 900mHy
Zobel Re 6.8 ohms and C 10uF

Tweeter:
3.75" Aluminum Bullet Horn with 1" Super Tweeter
SPL: 99dB/120W/4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 1.5k-25kHz

I use second order Bessel Filter (same values as above) and L-pad with
R1 5.6 ohms
R2 8 ohms

I had the frecuency response in my PC, but unfortunatly I had a problem and It dissapeared...

Anyway, I know that this speakers are more suitable for car audio use,but It`s the better that I can find here. Importation It`s almost imposible, `cause the economical situation`s of my country (2 years ago I earn u$2000, presently only u$700...devaluation). I have a pair of Audax Tweeters (AW01E01), but I`m going to use them with a 6" midwoofer.

Well, Dou you think that I can use 3K for XOA?
Or It will be better if I change the configuration to 3 way system?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marcelo
Old 26th July 2003, 04:38 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you are currently happy with your passive 3k XO i'd start there. An active XO is doing the same job as the passive but before the amps instead of after.

Because of this they are much easier to play around with.

i have a set of active XO links on my web page which will give you more reading.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/linx/xolinks.html

dave
Old 27th July 2003, 03:19 PM   #9
Raka is offline Raka  Europe
diyAudio Member

Higo,

Theorically, the three ways seems to be the way for a fully optimized active system. I am in the same stage like you are, and I'm decided to build also a two way active crossed over in the same range of frequency (but 6" woofer). Most of the advantages of the biamping would appear, i hope, but seems to be that the 3ways are the way here. Which xover do you plan?
Old 27th July 2003, 03:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

95% of the advantages of bi-amping to a woofer around 100Hz, give or take, do not translate to bi-amping a mid to tweeter.

Unless extenuating circumstances prevail, a passive network is the most practical and cheapest way to go.

Hide this!Advertise here!