Sensitive dome tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Out of boredom and curiosity, I compiled a list of sensitive dome tweeters, and thought I might as well share with the community. They're pretty much all rated at least 93dB @ 2.83V/1m or greater. Both 8 and 4 ohm impedances were considered. Along with diaphragm size and material, I also listed the specified Qts values when available. I think I had thoughts of a relatively efficient large 3-way with a dome, using no higher than LR2 acoustic slopes throughout. Anyway, I'm sure I've left out plenty of tweeters, so feel free to add to the list. It's just a simple txt file, so if the formatting doesn't look right, try changing your font to 10pt Verdana in notepad.exe, as that's what I was using.

Attachments

• sensitive domes.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 245
Er... I cheked that out, too. (just before this)

It must be someone's typo. Though anything is possible, I just don't believe this 1/2" tweeter can be that sensitive.

To my opinion monacor ads often 3 dB.

High sensitive dome Audax.
tw025a26.jpg

http://www.audax-speaker.de/index.php?module=shop_articles&index[shop_articles][action]=details&index[shop_articles][category==3&index[shop_articles][data][shop_articles_id]=55]%[/category][category=]%[/category]

Yes, Monacor is guilty of "gilding" their graphs. ..and not solely based on enhancing 1watt/1meter performance. :mad:

The more efficient newer "Audax" drivers have really bad non-linear distortion performance.. :(

https://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/TW025A26.pdf

That is strange they claim lowest distortion level with this tweeter in the describing?

Your plot shows 5% distortion not what we call low, at 1W it puts out 95dB. THD has to be compared to the same loudness level on 1mtr not at 1W.

That is strange they claim lowest distortion level with this tweeter in the describing?

Your plot shows 5% distortion not what we call low, at 1W it puts out 95dB. THD has to be compared to the same loudness level on 1mtr not at 1W.

It's not "my" plot.. and it is odd. ..you would think that ACC (who makes Audax drivers now), would know what they are doing with their measurements. Perhaps something was omitted on the graphs display?

Here is a a "Harman" run test of their most efficient tweeter:

https://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/TW025A28.pdf

It's not good either, but at least it's a THD plot and not a discreet plot of each harmonic.

Usually Monacor is quite honest about its products and their qualities... Frank Kuhl, a speaker designer working at R&D at Monacor is a member in many German forums and usually provides users with addiotional data if they ask...

@ Helmuth: Anyways, Monacor says the DT74 is usable from 5k upwards and in this range the sensitivity is 98 dB or higher...

@ ScottG: If you say someone is *guilty*, you should provide some evidence, such as measurements etc... otherwise the stuff you wrote is nothing more than rubbish! If you compare the data provided by Monacor with the measurements in magazines, they usually seem quite similar.

CAN you provide evidence?

Bye,

Spatz

PS: You can compare the TB-Series from Monacor with the same chassis from tang band as well, the measurements (and efficiency) seem quite similar. Could be real measurements, or you are just discovering a international loudspeaker manufacturer conspirancy...

Last edited:
Spatz

PS: You can compare the TB-Series from Monacor with the same chassis from tang band as well, the measurements (and efficiency) seem quite similar. Could be real measurements, or you are just discovering a international loudspeaker manufacturer conspirancy...

That is funny spatz Recent I made a comment to the 3" tangband dome mid that did 94dB in monacor specs. And 92 dB in tangband specs.

(Now I can't find the driver at monacor and tangband any more)

@ ScottG: If you say someone is *guilty*, you should provide some evidence, such as measurements etc... otherwise the stuff you wrote is nothing more than rubbish! If you compare the data provided by Monacor with the measurements in magazines, they usually seem quite similar.

CAN you provide evidence?

Seems I hit a "nerve". :eek:

Sure.. without thinking about it too much: look over Monacor's data on Celestion's Pro drivers and compare the difference.

Then consider the likely-hood that Celestion itself is probably presenting things a bit "rosier" than reality (which is easy enough to do with "averaging" alone). (..in this instance however it is pure speculation, but in my experience not undeserved.)

BTW, while I don't like this advertising practice (because it makes like-kind comparisons more difficult), it is advertising, it isn't uncommon, and it certainly isn't a crime - so "guilty of gilding" isn't exactly defamation. ;)

Out of boredom and curiosity, I compiled a list of sensitive dome tweeters, and thought I might as well share with the community. They're pretty much all rated at least 93dB @ 2.83V/1m or greater. Both 8 and 4 ohm impedances were considered. Along with diaphragm size and material, I also listed the specified Qts values when available. I think I had thoughts of a relatively efficient large 3-way with a dome, using no higher than LR2 acoustic slopes throughout. Anyway, I'm sure I've left out plenty of tweeters, so feel free to add to the list. It's just a simple txt file, so if the formatting doesn't look right, try changing your font to 10pt Verdana in notepad.exe, as that's what I was using.

The monacor tweeter was used in a high-sensitivity (94db system) loudspeaker project (it is/was an Audax) with a 12bd/octave x-over circa 1993; it is very sensitive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.