Any physical tweaks to increase roll-off of woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wonder if there are other ways to increase the roll-off of a mid/bass, I don't mean increasing the order of filters but physical tweaks such as damping the cone or just the dust cap. I have a SS 8530 and I would like smooth out the region above 5K .
Thanks.

Mass loading with mortite or some other putty at the apex of the cone, or around the dust cap might work, but it will change other parameters in addition to upper end roll off. But it is a relatively reversible tweak, so it might be worth trying. But don't use an oily putty on a paper cone, and don't press it in so hard you can't get it off until you are certain you want to keep it there.

Hmmm, I dunno, Eric. If it's a matter of cone breakup, then doing an RC may be a bandage on a corpse. Cone breakup can be sometimes ameliorated with cone dope or varnish, but it's often a function of the boundary conditions at the surround attach. If that's the case, all you're left with is rolling off steeply well below that breakup, because the cone dope will just lower the frequency of the problem rather than curing it..

Hi Sy,
The dome is very often the source of nasties ime.
Damping the dome by painting with PVA woodglue has worked for me, as has soaking thinned PVA into the cone.

IME a zobel network across the driver directly at the driver connections can quite dramatically reduce HF nasties and enable a rather smoother and more tolerable response from typical woofers.
A zobel network is effectively a snubber network that loads the driver generator output under overshoot conditions and reduces the ringing time of the woofer as I hear it.

Eric.

Did you get those Wolf Blass photos ?.

Lst Friday Night....

The photo is for those who are wondering what Sy and I are talking about.
Sy, tell them to email me is best - I am out and about lately and my mobile has fritzed itself.

Thanks and Regards,
Eric.

Attachments

• glasses edit.jpg
    glasses edit.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 260
Mmm.. Wolf Blass! I believe intake of one bottle should roll off the high pretty well for me. No, I must look for other means.

I tried an overdamped zobel using 8.2uf/10ohm, but still doesn't do well in the 6-8K region, maybe I should increase the cap and lower the resistance, any ideas?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Coating the driver with puzzlecoat (PVA) can accomplish this... you have to be careful thou, you can go too far. Because you are adding mass you will also lower thr Fs & the sensitivity (by how much depends on how much you add).

Now the Scan-Speaks seem pretty well engineered, i don't know how much you can acheive... i'd just start out with a better behaved driver myself.

dave

Hmm Wolf Blass ...

I have the a few bottles of President Selection Shiraz (Vintages 1996 and 1998) in my cellar. I like them very much. But the flagship wine , Black Label (vintage 1995 is the one i tried a couple of months ago) was ... well ... imO disappointing and expensive :(

Cheers

They Are All Good IMO.

Vintages are variable of course - maybe 1995 was not such a good year.
Have you tried any Margaret River West Australian wines - most of these are good and some are rippers.
The Swan Valley wines are very good too - the West Australian drops are different to South Australian and to my taste even better.
I have friends who have their Henley Park vineyard right next door to the Evans and Tate Swan Valley vineyard.
Evans and Tate are very highly regarded, and the Henley Park wines are even better in my experience.
Sampling wines straight out of the barrels is a good way to enjoy a range of tates, and get sozzled too - no spitting out good wine for me !.
I have mixed a Danish band who were visiting HP, and it made for a great day, and the band loved the occasion too - all in all a great family day out.

Cheers, Eric. :drink:

Thread topic???

People who want to talk about wine are better off at www.wldg.com (Wine Lovers' Discussion Group, who are nice enough to host my web site) than here. And you can even discuss Santa Barbara Pinots with Larry Archibald.

Now, about taming drivers, an RC network will, at best, give you a shelf. If you want to truly compensate out a peak without doing things mechanical, you need RLC filtering, either a RLC parallel trap in series with the driver or an RLC series trap in parallel with the driver. In both cases, you have to measure the peak to calculate the right way to get rid of it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.