Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Dear RG,

Although you get some friendly answers on your request, unfortunately none of them hit the nail on the head. Trial and error is not going to produce a good x/o. Speaker x/o is a little more complex than assumed here.

You must measure the chosen drivers in the box you are going to use. Manufacturers sheets are not usuable, in that the speakers usually are not measured in a box, but on an IEC baffle, yielding rather different and much smoother SPL curves. The so called Baffle Step is not present in IEC baffle measurements; neither are all sorts of diffraction effects, that must be taken into consideration, when designing a x/o. Furthermore, TB is notoriously known for its highly optimistic graphs.

My advice: download a free lsp measurement program, such as ARTA or Holmimpulse and import your measured curves (so called .FRD and .ZMA file) into either Boxsim or Speaker Workshop.The learning process will be hard in the beginning, but once you' ve mastered this, you will be able to design almost any system and x/o you like.

Good luck,

Eelco de Bode
Old 9th January 2011, 02:09 PM   #12
rg24 is offline rg24  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe I will purchase those as well and use the best of the lot.

I plan to make my first attempt using passive crossover designer and zma and frd files that I have downloaded of both drivers. What is a good crossover point to start with?
Old 9th January 2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Boden is offline Boden  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Dear RG,

With the Dayton, 2.2 kHz (or even 2kHz) will be fine, provided you apply acoustic 4th order LR. Often a relatively simple electric 2th order x/o will, combined with the drivers own roll off, produce a nice acoustic LR 4 with just a few components. But then again, optimum results can only be obtained by measurement and proper simulations in an x/o program.

Kind Regards,

Eelco
Old 9th January 2011, 09:55 PM   #14
rg24 is offline rg24  United States
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I only have a mac so I think I will just guess on the components-how bad could it be?
Old 9th January 2011, 10:42 PM   #15
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

hmm, its said about children they should better crawl for a while, before walking
good for learning, they say

no pun intended

well, no matter what, all the hardware in the world wont make a speaker by itself
need to learn about speakers first

you could start with studying the great speaker man Troels Gravesen http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Lou...r_Projects.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!