New guy here... and a new idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in your opinions about this potential project of mine...
The rendering was done by a good friend of mine Kresimir Jelusic, and is great but allot of specific details are missing... This is just a concept. The tweeter would be true ribbon, and at the back is the opening for a spiral horn.
The suspension is missing and a special mount for vertical tilt. I hope this is a good introduction...
What do you guys think?
Cheers!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 757
Yes... I know... that's why I haven't yet. I've had this Idea for more than 10 years already. I should be done with ring shaped MDF with pyramids on the inner side. Screwed and glued and then shaped on a lathe. The catch is, these "eggs" are big, maybe a meter in length? So I suspect they would be really heavy. Plus, I don't have any experience with spiral horn yet.

Maybe...

a two piece shell, with an insert for the spiral?

steel cable/wire for the suspension(unless you wanted to try Kevlar/carbon fiber cord, w/ the heavier egg

Very nice Idea!!! Don't lose the hope!

Remember, we're all pulling for ya(or somethin Red-Green)

Have a wood turning turn the "egg" then make a female mold and use it to lay up composits. "E" glass with West system epoxy would do the trick. For the tweeter, you could look at some of the bullet tweets that RS use to use.

What are you trying to accomplish with the horn? If you are looking to go down low, you could look at the driver used in the Indignia project. It a .4 cu ft egg, it will go well into the 30s.

That would also look good on a much smaller version of the old Bose "tulip" stands.

Very pretty!

Would bass notes get this swinging back and forth on those thin wires?
No, that's why it's connected in three points on the bottom side, rather than just hanging in the air. If it's tightened it shouldn't move anywhere. The wires mounting points are rubber coated so they wouldn't "play" like guitar strings. The upper wire would be mounted to the stand via strong coil, so it would be suspended like stringing a bow. I've thought about everything! Believe me I've had time! :p If I could source good quality silver cable, those front two could carry the signal to the drivers, and the stand would have contacts behind by the rear spike. There are hundreds of ideas going through my mind..

Yes, it looks very cool, but I'm not sure it will sound so much better than a more conventional design to be worth the considerable effort of building it. Although, it might help in getting women interested in visiting your apartment!

There is a large reflective surface between the tweeter and the lower driver that might cause response irregularities. Also, those drivers might be too far apart, depending on the xover freq.

The egg shape is elegant and appealing, but what is its function other than appearance? If you are trying to reduce baffle diffraction, there are still edges present all around both drivers, and they are perfectly circular, which is possibly the worst shape. Better to have curves tangential to the front face of the speaker than to have drivers located on the face of a "slice". What is behind the driver is more important on the INSIDE of the enclosure than the outside. What is in front of or adjacent to the driver is more important on the outside than on the inside of the enclosure.

If the egg is a meter long, there may be pipe resonance issues. It will also be difficult to stabilize such a large and unbalanced object with only one plane of support.

But yeah, they do look cool. Nice rendering. Wish I had your skills to express my own ideas. Here is a picture of a speaker enclosure designed to reduce diffraction. I built these before B&W designed the Nautilus.

Peace,
Tom E

Attachments

• snowmen 003.jpg
    snowmen 003.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 542
  • snowmen 007.jpg
    snowmen 007.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 511
Would bass notes get this swinging back and forth on those thin wires?
No, that's why it's connected in three points on the bottom side, rather than just hanging in the air. If it's tightened it shouldn't move anywhere. The wires mounting points are rubber coated so they wouldn't "play" like guitar strings. The upper wire would be mounted to the stand via strong coil, so it would be suspended like stringing a bow.
This reminds me of pianos. The strings will loosen over time, lowering the resonance frequency, which can be fixed by periodically tightening them. Also, a felt damper can be pressed onto the string to damp resonance, just like in a piano. And just like in a piano, it will probably work fine.

Are the string lengths going to be golden ratios?

Anyhow, my compliments on the design.

--
Greetz,
MatchASM

New renderings... :) What do you think? Still haven't done anything about them. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• untitled.192.jpg
    untitled.192.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 315
  • untitled.187.jpg
    untitled.187.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 313
  • untitled.185.jpg
    untitled.185.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 263
  • untitled.184.jpg
    untitled.184.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 267
  • untitled.180.jpg
    untitled.180.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 268
  • untitled.182.jpg
    untitled.182.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 175
I never knew about Origin speakers... I wonder how old their idea is? At least they did something about it, unlike me. :rolleyes:
I haven't done anything about them still because, as you can see, a cabinet houses a spiral horn which is an idea of Masaaki Takenaka. This is a copy of our conversation.

masatak
To Me
Apr 8, 2004
Hi dear Veltruski
Thank you for your interest to the 3D-spiral horns.
Horn design techniques are under development now. My knowledge at this stage
is cited in the following page.
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-whyspiral.html

I am very interested to your "large eggs"; please send me the pictures when
it will be completed.

Best regards,
Masaaki Takenaka

I haven't managed to get in touch with him since, and as I need his help with the calculations of his horn design, I just kept refining the design of the speakers as I felt I couldn't do much more. I'm also working on a more feasible bass reflex design of an active studio monitor based on this concept.
I'm glad you like it. Any help regarding this idea would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

I'm also working on a more feasible bass reflex design of
an active studio monitor based on this concept.
I'm glad you like it. Any help regarding this idea would be
greatly appreciated! Thank you.

BR seems like something I would place my bet on.
What drivers did you have in mind?
When you say active, analog or dsp ?
There is something about your speakers that reminds
me of Star Wars in a positive way.

I'm thinking about offering my design to Adam audio or perhaps Genelec. The studio monitors version of course. The amp would most probably be digital, and the drivers could be either Adam, Seas, Vifa or some other manufacturer for the bass, and raalribbon.com or Adam again for the high. Not too picky as long as their response curve would be as flat as possible. I'm not interested in "HiFi", I only want to see a perfect measurable flat response. Or as close as they can get to it.
The entire design is done with "form follow function" philosophy in mind. Nothing you see here is for the sake of "looking good". This is how any and all speakers should look like if you consider acoustical principals. No flat surfaces or edges, and not touching any surface that can resonate or be close to any surface that can cause unwanted reflections.
The "egg" shape around the spiral horn is the volume needed for bass reproduction in front of the entrance of the horn. The horn amplifies that sound.
This design has many potential and realistic problems that need to be dealt with before I could start the build process. The BR version would be much easier to calculate and build. We'll see.

I'm a designer, here you can take a look at other stuff I've made if you wish.

https://www.facebook.com/VLabDesign

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.