Does anyone know this ribbon driver?? I need some data on it. please!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this two of these fine ribbon tweeters, but no data on them....

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• ribbon1.jpg
    ribbon1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 544
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
They certainly appear to be Heil AMT's, (Air Motion Transformer), and they are considered among the best tweeters/upper midranges in the world. I auditioned them once in a stereo shop in the seventies-it was hard to tell because I didn't think the woofer in the ESS unit was all that great.

Do a search for Heil and you will see that this has been discussed often. There is even a member named AMT-freak!

Here a couple of discussions on the Heil:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10802&highlight=Heil

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2817&highlight=pass+heil+air+motion

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8031&highlight=Heil

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
capslock said:
Lucky you, those are AMT 1, selling at about 1000 € per pair. The European distributor is Audio Int'l in Frankfurt, but I am not sure if they have a web site. www.hifisound.de carry their products also.

Someone's making some money... i have a quote for $150 USD each as spares.

These are indeed fine tweeters. ChrisB and i are working on a design using these for a client (pictures are from a developmental stage -- i hope to get pics of finished speaker this week) and previously did a 3-way AMT-1 conversion.

dave

Attachments

• heil-fostex-tiled.jpg
    heil-fostex-tiled.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 428
Many thanks to you all! :happy1:

I did not have any clue who had made this ribbon unit.

The midband in this speaker is a Dynaudio D52, and the bass unit was a Dynaudio 300mm speaker.

The bass was destroyed together with the amp with active x-over.

So we thinking of making a passive x-over, make the box more stiff and mount a new bass driver.... it is a closed box. so it is pretty big!....

when done we could use it as a test speaker for new amp designs!?!?

Dave :

The SPL level you have shown in the graph.. is this true... 100dB?

Many kind regards

Sonny

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Lightning fast speakers as they are they're not easy to match to a woofer, though.

They aren't... they scream to be bi-amped. Even with 8 dB of padding and a passive XO they do mate well with the FW227 Fostexs (unfortunately discontinued). They should be running bi-amped later this week (2 x Decware ZEN Selects w PLLXO).

dave

The midband in this speaker is a Dynaudio D52, and the bass unit was a Dynaudio 300mm speaker.

If the other box is still O.K. and you can check if yoiu like it's sound then you might still get a new Dynaudio driver as spare part.
This depends on availability and also the price is usually higher than before. You will have to return the defective driver to get a new one at all.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.