High Cost/Performance value 8" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Look for a high value of cost/performance 8"woofer cross at about 300Hz.

So is it a waste that using some woofers that be able to perform well to 1Khz?

I would like clean , fast , detailed with low coloration of the bass. Low Qts for vented box design.

Need your seggestion! Thanks

Zaph tested a number of 8" woofers here: Zaph|Audio

Mark K's woofer test results are here: Measurements (see "Woofer test group 2")

I hope this helps.

Thanks ! I have already read .

The followings are the woofers I am considering:

Has anybody ever used Scan-Speak 22W/8851T and 22W/8857T? , They are really expensive as 8" woofer.

Seas' W22NY001 and W22EX001. One is Nextel cone and the other is Magnesium cone.

Visaton AL200 seems to be a nice other choice.

All I need is the highly detailed and low coloration bass range. In a vented box design but still be able to get tight bass.

PS:Crossover will be about 250Hz electrical LR2.

Look for a high value of cost/performance 8"woofer cross at about 300Hz.

So is it a waste that using some woofers that be able to perform well to 1Khz?

I would like clean , fast , detailed with low coloration of the bass. Low Qts for vented box design.

Need your seggestion! Thanks

How large of a box do you want to build? Are you using a sub? How loud do you want to play it? Why only an eight?

How large of a box do you want to build? Are you using a sub? How loud do you want to play it? Why only an eight?

Actully 2 X 8" woofer in about 60~70L vented box.

My room is not big so I just would like to build a medium system. It won't be played very loudly.

I found the dayton RS225 has very good reviews from the users. Will it be a super value choice since just as woofer?

What about this:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_257&products_id=8772

Looks like good construction, polar response, and sensitivity:

22W_8534G.jpg

Thanks for all guys offered the information.

In fact I love the Usher's drivers and they are made in Taiwan where is my home!
(I own the 8945P 8948A 9950 drivers from the speaker)

It is a little funny that Usher sells speaker at very reasonable price here but they don't sell drivers in Taiwan.

So I have to buy it from foreign(like PE in USA) and shipping cost+Tax will make it as expensive as Scan-speak........:(

Don't know the reason and maybe they would like to make you buy the speaker from them directly.

It seems Morel/scan-speak Discovery/Vifa.......they are all good choices. The more good stuffs I knew , the more difficult to make the decision. :p

I'm looking for almost exactly the same. I just would also be fine with a sealed cabinet.
My decission is gonna be made between the

Scan Speak Discovery (mentioned above),

the SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8
SB Acoustics :: 8" SB23NRXS45-8,

or the new Vifa 22 NE
http://vifa.de/chassis/vifa/pdf/ne-line/DB22NE450-4.pdf...

Hard to decide, but I still have to wait saving some money.

The Eton 8"s are nice drivers aswell as the Visaton.
The Etons are just to expensive for the value imo. The meassurements published in a magazine couldn't convince me at last.
And the Visatons aluminium cone material doesn't fit my concept that well.

Greets,
kle

If you can spend more, go for the Scanpeak 21W8554. Very low qts of 0.19 and can be used in a 25L to 45L enclosure. Excellent punchy and dynamic, "ultra quick" sounding bass without the heavy feel. Heavy bass feel is something like a Peerless 12'' subwoofer ported in a 100L box. The midrange transparency of the 21W is so good that is puts to many other 6.5'' Scanspeak midwoofers to shame when crossed low to a capable tweeter.

Thanks to everyone for sharing with great enthusiasm.

I found another interesting item. Aurum Cantus AC200/50C2C which uses the sandwich cone. Has anybody ever listen to that series of drivers?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

21W/8554 is actually one of my targets. Low Qts with vented box is really attractive because I also love the clean and quick bass.

There is another advantage of W21 ; ScanSpeak Has made an optional grill for them and I have two cats..... You know they are the number one killer for the sorround of the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.