ATC SM75-150 versus SM75-150S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From what I have read, the only difference is the sensitivity increase for the S version. The cone assembly is the same for both (the same recone kits work for both versions). If you look at pictures of the units, the S version has a much bigger/stronger magnet which provides the sensitivity increase.

Cheers

Attachments

• ATC SM75-150.jpg
    ATC SM75-150.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 648
  • ATC SM75-150S.jpg
    ATC SM75-150S.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 670
That looks very similar. We could just cross the tweeter a little lower to get more detail in the lower highs. I don't know. :S

But where to find them for cheap?! On a students budget I will only afford one. Called ATC in the UK and they wanted ~300 pounds for it.

Oh, and ATC is keeping the S version to their own speakers now, I asked them on the phone. So this discussion is pretty fruitless.

I am planning to use my single, mono :( SM75-150 driver to build a ATC SCM50 clone to go with my Krell KSA-100 clone, of which none is of course completed. I happen to have the chinese made tweeters from the ATC SCM16A (still on ebay for $21: "atc tweeter") and a pair of unknown ATC PA75-260 STD 8 ohm (!). Not the -314. Not the -243. Not the -234. But a rare -260. I measued also. 255mm across. It likes to be between 250Hz and 900Hz. They are very revealing. I played it a long time before they loosened up a bit, or my stereo warmed up properly. I was scared the first two days and thought, "what a crappy speaker I bought!" We will see if I can decide on a cabinet for these rarities. 255mm is not 243mm across, like in the original SCM50.

I asked ATC and they didn't have anyone old enough to answer what they were. Does anyone here know? I need to know things like cabinets, and if the official scm50/100 crossover still works.

I know I am kinda hi-jacking the thread, but it is on the topic of using the SM75-150 in a sensible way. And since nobody can really buy the S version anymore we could just talk about my speaker project instead. ^^,

Last edited:
Solen will sell you both version, but they are more expensive than direct buy from ATC.
I find the price quite right compared to compression drivers and horns...

True, true. Good compression drivers are equal in price. It is not like I have to buy the worlds best speaker more than once.

It is interesting that you mention compression drivers. Maybe the SM75-150 is considered to be a compression driver, but I am thinking more of TAD, JBL, BMS, etc, when I think of CDs. How would they fare against the SM75-150? The Avantgarde Trio is considered by many, not all, as one of the finest speaker in the world.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.