S15: Econowave DSP - a Constant Directivity vs Dipole study

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High:
High pass filter: 1khz LR4
Horn Notch: 1900hz, -4db, Q=1.4
Gain: -11db
Delay: 0.1ms
Tweeter protect: 68uF non-polar capacitor

Low:
Low pass filter: 1khz LR4
Driver notch 1 : 704hz, -3db, Q=3
Driver notch 2 : 1037hz, -3db, Q=6

Hi gainphile

Just saw your speakers on the site.

I am looking to enjoy highish frequencys from a large dia. LF driver, and cross over a compression driver at a 'low' frequency also.

My bets are that this is totaly possible, although there seems to be a lot of 'conventional' opinion out there that this is not possible.

I was very pleased to see that you have ignored the 'conventional' and done just that.

I'm sure that it is 'conventional' dogma that puts people off trying this more often than seems the case.

Good to hear they sound to your ears a winner.

Cheers

Simon

P.S. I am wanting to use the square 90x90 version of the waveguide you have used, which also some have speculated won't work that low.
Tear up the rule book and just listen.
Nice work gainphile.

Last edited:
The Econowaves are not gedlee clones ;)... but yes I'll try the foam one day. I've had good reports with non-gedlee speakers too and they're not too expensive.

Nor are my Unity's.

Just use some decent grill cloth.
If you must have 'foam'...
Try a slice of saucepan scourer.
Thats quite good for getting an acceptable sound from any over-active metal tweeters.

The issue here, is not excessive highs, but internal reflections in the horn - the things that make it sound like a horn. The foam attenuates those reflections, and requires some depth. I fill all the way to the phasing plug of the compression driver. If the horn is fairly shallow, you can fill the the front. If it's deeper, a partial fill is nearly as effective. In my hands, a depth of 10cm or so does most of the work.

Sheldon

Last edited:
ewave + foam

This is my eWave *with* foam

odWmA.jpg

The foam causes attenuation of -2db.

blue: original
black: with foam insert
A1cE3.png

The attenuation is quite uniform, as shown by compensated graph below. It tracks very identical to no-foam. So this is good. Only in extreme highs that it deviates.

blue: original
black: with foam insert and +2 db.
2ozz6.png

The changes to the sound is subjectively subtle, and that is consistent with the above plots. I thought horn coloration is reduced, but at the expense of airy-ness. It's a good tradeoff.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'm looking at throat wall damping at the moment, how do you guys do it with plastic horns? I've thought of casting poly around it but I'm concerned it will not bond and will separate. Maybe I could just damp with some kind of bituminous putty?

...and on the foam, I have used dacron (with netting to hold it in place) with no negative effects in the end although it takes time to match the stereo pair...just FWIW.

Hi Gainphile,
Respect for your work! One question, did you try Econowave and a 15" woofer in OB?

Can boxed low - mid be the reason for wins to dipole?

I'm using Econowave DE250 with AE speaker LO15 in OB.

BR,
Jeroen

Yes, somewhere in this thread I have posted a conclusion on my dipoles vs. this narrow directivity speaker. I had not changed. If I had to "summarise the summary" it would be like this:

- Econowave/narrow directivity: Better tonality and driver integration, but lacks that last bits of spatial illusion.

- Dipole: Better spatial/auditory scene reproduction, but correct tonality is a real challenge (perhaps too much room influence).

These days what I'm trying to do is to document them. I've started the one for the ewave.

They are 30 ppi "reticulated foam", more popularly known as "mericell" in Australia.

Paul had done a great find:
Red Spade Audio: Where can I find reticulated foam in Australia?

Ah, very cool. The stuff I use I got cheapie at a fish store, couldn't say porousity with any certainty, but it's very open and very large cells. I found the effect pretty immediate and obvious, and my version had less foam than your, full-up, version. Benefits of noise sensitivity perhaps, I rarely go to anywhere with amplified music.

Yes, somewhere in this thread I have posted a conclusion on my dipoles vs. this narrow directivity speaker. I had not changed. If I had to "summarise the summary" it would be like this:

- Econowave/narrow directivity: Better tonality and driver integration, but lacks that last bits of spatial illusion.

- Dipole: Better spatial/auditory scene reproduction, but correct tonality is a real challenge (perhaps too much room influence).

These days what I'm trying to do is to document them. I've started the one for the ewave.

I can relate to your conclusion, but to my experience auditory scene has allot to do with boxed mid. Using an Open Baffle woofer helps allot. The other aspect is diffuse highs, but you good also argue that a Dipole ads air/room that is not there?

I compaire Econowave with Open Baffle 15" with my other system a 3-way dipole with Seas mid (M15CH002) and BG Neo3W. Both active with MiniDSP.

Hello, My first post here,

I'm looking to build this design of speaker, wondering if there is a regular crossover that can be installed in the speaker rather going with active DSP style, I'm new to the diy world, but since I have one set of klipsch KG 5.5 speakers in my family room, I need another set of speakers to fill the room, and since I have horn tweeters, I thought these would fill in perfectly, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Gainphile,

I have to apologise for my previous post, as I was under a serious medical issue, my gallbladder ended up getting infected and I was turning yellow, and I needed emergency surgery, I've been on the mend for several weeks, I was really sick, and I was a bit more frustrated than normal.

With so much information that I've read and like over 950 pages from Zilch's thread, I was trying to just get some info from you, or buy some components from you, when you read all the pages that exist, it's so difficult to see what people are using, and if someone like me can't build crossovers, I thought maybe you could sell a set of conventional cross-overs for a price, that's all I was trying to ask or get some helpful info. Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.