S15: Econowave DSP - a Constant Directivity vs Dipole study - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2010, 12:54 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Yes with google chrome. The result is ugly.
There are some web browsers more IE and Firefox. See Here :
Informations relatives aux navigateurs Web

Not very easy to be compatible with all.

The problem is the Microsoft trust with IE and The European commission imposes to Microsoft others browsers.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:54 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
Yes with google chrome. The result is ugly.
There are some web browsers more IE and Firefox. See Here :
Informations relatives aux navigateurs Web

Not very easy to be compatible with all.

The problem is the Microsoft trust with IE and The European commission imposes to Microsoft others browsers.
Just downloaded Google Chrome and it look good to me. Looks more like something specific to your PCs than the browser. I can't fix it if it isn't a problem. Sorry.

From what I see in Micheals picture it looks liek a problem with font size/type.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:06 PM   #33
mige0 is offline mige0  Austria
diyAudio Member

Location: Austria, at a beautiful place right in the heart of the Alps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Hi Micheal,

What browser are you using? You seem to be having trouble displaying the correct font. I've tested on 4 different PCs using Explorer and Fire Fox without problems. Try it now. I changed some fonts around.

Anyone else having any problems with this or any pages on my site?

I would think that if this was a common problem I would be getting emails about it.

John,
I mostly use Opera, pretty common actually, but with slightly different behaviour under Linux / Ubuntu

When I do web pages I always check if they are fully compatible.
The W3C page is easy to use and points you directly to compatibility issues :

Both Opera and Firefox have no (less) problems with the compatibility issues in your pages at a standard XP but that does not hold in Linux (Firefox being more forgiving than Opera)

Your font changes did not have any influence.

Michael

Last edited by mige0; 27th December 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:19 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Nice thread!
Be careful though, not to draw too hard conclusions based on these listening sessions. You are still comparing specific loudspeakers in a specific setting. Therefore you can not simply generalize your findings. A reworking of either speaker may change the outcome of the comparison.
Thanks. Very good point there, indeed the observation is very limited to my room and bias (need).
Old 27th December 2010, 03:27 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Hi gainphile ,

Nice that your comparing two way CD with dipole. I am struggling with the idea trying to build a dipole. Now i am not motivated to try a OB as the advantages aren't that obvious.
That is my finding, and also apparently the finding of that canadian group when comparing Orions to Behringer.

For my personal preference, however, the presentation was make or break. The dipoles are simply natural and untiring to listen to (with their 'quirks').

Had I not owned and accustomed to dipole presentation, I would happily have these CD speakers as a reference.

Thanks for your tips. I may do the necessary box modification, round-over etc. It's in an early stage and my 'conclusion' is not final (what is? )

I never lived with horns long enough, but had brief listening to the acapella. They are impressive at first but quickly I notice the disintegration with the monopole woofer etc. so it seems they have their 'problems' too. I simply don't have the skills nor funds to build them.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:36 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mige0 View Post
John,
I mostly use Opera, pretty common actually, but with slightly different behaviour under Linux / Ubuntu

When I do web pages I always check if they are fully compatible.
The W3C page is easy to use and points you directly to compatibility issues :

Both Opera and Firefox have no (less) problems with the compatibility issues in your pages at a standard XP but that does not hold in Linux (Firefox being more forgiving than Opera)

Your font changes did not have any influence.

Michael
Downloaded Opera 11 and tired it. No problems. Sorry, I am not going to worry about Linux OS. Even on my W7 machine which doesn't have all the fonts I used on some pages the display is correct but unsupported fonts default to New Times Roman.

I don't know how much I consider Markup Validation Service results. Seems just about every web page I go to have lots of errors and warnings, this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/ has 25 errors and 2 warnings itself.

Last edited by john k...; 27th December 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 27th December 2010, 03:53 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Guys.... get a real browser and be done with it
Old 27th December 2010, 04:26 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Just downloaded Google Chrome and it look good to me. Looks more like something specific to your PCs than the browser. I can't fix it if it isn't a problem. Sorry.
Sorry John it's under Linux I use the two systems on several computers and i unfortunately made my test under Linux Ubuntu 9.04. Under Win XP it is OK

Sorry Gainphile for the out of subject
Old 27th December 2010, 04:36 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
That is my finding, and also apparently the finding of that canadian group when comparing Orions to Behringer.

For my personal preference, however, the presentation was make or break. The dipoles are simply natural and untiring to listen to (with their 'quirks').

Had I not owned and accustomed to dipole presentation, I would happily have these CD speakers as a reference.

Thanks for your tips. I may do the necessary box modification, round-over etc. It's in an early stage and my 'conclusion' is not final (what is? )

I never lived with horns long enough, but had brief listening to the acapella. They are impressive at first but quickly I notice the disintegration with the monopole woofer etc. so it seems they have their 'problems' too. I simply don't have the skills nor funds to build them.
On topic, I am not at all surprised by your results. They are pretty much consistent with comparisons even with ordinary direct radiator speakers and OB systems. It more about direct and reflected sound than it is about narrow beam CD (wave guides) vs wide beam CD (dipoles) with rear radiation. Also, I don't see a lot of comparison when listening distance is considered. Move closer to a dipole system with the speakers positioned a little closer together and the direct sound comes more into play.There are a lot of variable to consider because it is really the room that is the system (old diya thread) and setting up a room for any given speaker is not plug and play.
Old 27th December 2010, 05:03 PM   #40
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainphile View Post
My implementation is active, so I simply notch the lower hump with appropriate cut and Q. It is very effective and easy to do.
Thanks, I hadn't put that together. Makes sense. FWIW, I've made a couple of eWaves and found the set using the QSC waveguide to seem much smoother sounding and not at all tiring (less so than my planar dipoles in that regard). There are a lot of other variables with either so that may not mean a lot, though.

The toe-in with the eWaves is pretty much essential in my setup to get them to work correctly (ultra wide stable image, no oddities with listener movement). Pointed straight ahead they lose a huge amount.

Hide this!Advertise here!