S15: Econowave DSP - a Constant Directivity vs Dipole study - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 04:11 PM   #161
diyAudio Member

No problems. Hope you'll get well soon!

This is my 'Zilch reference' page out of those thousands of posts:

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker - Page 16 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Hope that helps. I've seen and heard Zilch's crossover since a friend bought them second hand. But really not sure who'se selling them now. Of course you can build one yourself.
Old 27th June 2012, 05:15 AM   #162
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply Gain!

Well, me being 41 yrs old, and never ever needing the emergency room for nothing until this hit me like a ton of bricks, but I've been recovering from surgery for the last 3 weeks, I'm off weight restrictions, and finally getting around to building some Econowaves !!!

I was looking to either build zilch's Econowave deluxe version, but when I saw your set that you made, I was very impressed that maybe your set would be a better fit for my room, as I want to build a right, left, center version for my home theater, but I wanted to just buy the cross-overs or buy something through you, I'm not sure with Zilch's design ( if his design uses 12 or 15" woofers ), but some of the Econowave designs were made with 15" woofers, where I wanted to stick with the 12" designs, that would work with my other speakers.

I will check out the thread you linked in your reply, again I really appreciate your help! Thanks again!
Old 27th June 2012, 10:08 AM   #163
diyAudio Member

The biggest difference is Zilch are passive loudspeakers. You need only a normal stereo amps to power them. Mine are active and they require 4 channels.

Although they have their benefits from being active, if you'd want to have HT setup it becomes unpractical and expensive !
Old 27th June 2012, 08:48 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

I've been wanting to build a set of econowaves for a couple years now, an am considering doing these as a portable PA / boombox. Any thoughts?
Old 26th November 2013, 10:38 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem appears to be mastering his music with Econowaves now!

Neat.

In the pic above, I've pasted an Econowave on the left, and James Murphy spinning on the right. (Note the econowaves behind him.)

On the downside, he mentioned in the video that he 'makes studio monitors for DFA' (his label) and that 'artists on our label can make a beautiful pair of studio monitors for $700.' But he didn't bother to mention it's origins (Sure looks like an Econowave to me.)

Hopefully he gives credit where credit is due.

Full video:

Despacio soundsystem: James Murphy and 2ManyDJs in conversation - YouTube

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 26th November 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!