Peerless 830875 in sealed box - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2010, 09:38 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

I am curious to see if you like the sound of your sealed enclosure once it is done.
Andale pues!
Old 29th December 2010, 10:18 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Believe me, I'm more curious than you Meanwhile I am using cheap aiwa speakers. I want to finish right now these new enclosures.
I am quite sure that work perfectly with subwoofers.
Anyway, I'll measure them when finished. I have to figure out how to make a good measurement below 300hz. I donīt know if I can do that without an anechoic chamber. In that case, you're going to have to believe only in my ears: (
Old 30th December 2010, 02:02 AM   #43
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Below 300Hz you have to use nearfield measurements and trust the physics.

rgds, sreten.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:07 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Understood. It is worth making the measurements outdoors? I have a garden in the back of my house, about 30 x 9 meters, no walls in between which could disturb. I never thought of making the measurements there in a day without wind or noise, and pointing the enclosures to the sky, to minimize unwanted reflections due to the floor.

What do you think about this?
Old 30th December 2010, 02:18 AM   #45
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, Take a look at Paul Messengers articles on measurement at Stereophile, rgds, sreten.

Nearfield measurements for the bass end can be done indoors with the right gating.
Old 30th December 2010, 02:24 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Thanks sreten, iīll take a look at those articles
Old 31st December 2010, 12:50 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Well, I bought the glass wool. I couldnīt find rock wool. The construction of the boxes will take me some days longer than planned, because I've added some wood details. But I tried for a few minutes a single box, not stuffed inside, and looks promising. Of course, bass is not devastating, but I had the impression that can be used completely without subwoofers. I also try to equalize, increase 4db 50hz, 4db 60Hz 2db at 70hz, and they're pretty much like the bass reflex enclosure. I didnīt notice any excursion problem. Surely with the filling will be much better.

What do you recommend me for filling? Can I use only glass wool on all sides of the box? Or itīs better combinate with polyfill?
Old 31st December 2010, 02:10 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Hello,
The last set of speakers i stuffed with raw wool from a sheep. The real thing worked well. The idea came from an old Linkwitz paper.
I bought the wool on line from a woman that sells wool from her few sheep to DIY folks that spin their own yarn, pretty cool I thought.
DT
All just for fun!
Old 31st December 2010, 02:15 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

But itīs late DT, iīve bought glasswool yesterday.
Someone recommended me to use glass wool in the bottom of the box and polyfill in the rest of the walls. But because I bought a lot of glass wool, I wondered if it would be correct to place on all sides and not use polyfill.
Old 31st December 2010, 02:49 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiro77 View Post
But itīs late DT, iīve bought glasswool yesterday.
Someone recommended me to use glass wool in the bottom of the box and polyfill in the rest of the walls. But because I bought a lot of glass wool, I wondered if it would be correct to place on all sides and not use polyfill.
Hello,
I learn by doing as well.
The way I think of the stuffing is like adding density to the air in the box. Back when i read that the fiber glas should be attached to 3 inside surfaces top, side and back to reduce reflections. Perhaps all 6 inside surfaces. Other boxes are completely filled with soft fluffy stuff. This is increased density fill concept. Some speaker software programs have a blank to fill in for weight of the stuffing added. The idea is that as the box filling air and stuffing has density (weight) that will adsorb heat from the adiabatic compression of the air. On the negative pressure side of the sound wave the stuffing gives the heat back, the oppisit of the heat of compression. The stored energy or heat is the equivalent of added box volume. The stuffing also helps keep the sound inside the box from bouncing around like a ping pong ball.
The short version staple the fiberglass batts to the inside walls and weigh out 6, 8, or 12 Ozs of pillow stuffing into each and see how you like how it sounds.
To answer your question directly, it is all good!
No sheep?
DT
All just for fun!

Last edited by DualTriode; 31st December 2010 at 02:52 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!