Interesting find

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of old (80's) TurboSound LS-1001 midrange PA drivers for £2 at a car boot sale the other week. They are 10".

One of them is damaged, it makes a rattling sound when playing, and scrapes when you move the cone, the other appears to work fine.
I was going to use the working one in a subwoofer until I found out that it's a midrange power driver, for about 250Hz up.

So anyone got any thoughts, ideas what to do with them, etc?

Here's a photo, with a 30CM ruler and my mobile phone for size comparison. Sorry for the photo quality, I've only got a webcam :(

Attachments

• ls1001.jpg
    ls1001.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,029
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Hi Howard

They look like the Fane version of the 1001s, and they are still in common use, so therefore can be easily reconed, (if you want more details, email me privately and I will give you a contact number).

They are pretty good drivers, usually used in boxes of between 5 to 20 litre with a front horn for dispersion control purposes. Crossovers are usually between 250/300Hz at the bottom and 1.3/1.5KHz at the top.

Mass and compliance of this cone wouldn't be suitable for a passive radiator.

I have used som Fane Studio 10 M drivers (yours are a custom version of this driver !) in the eighties:

Four of them are used in a 4 x 10" bass-box
Two are used in low-mid horns of a four-way active horn system.
Two are used as low-mid in a small direct radiator P.A.

A newer version of this driver is still manufactured by Fane but the type designation is different.

Regards

Charles

Do not destroy these drivers - find a PA company that uses Turbosound cabinets and do them a deal.
You will profit handsomely on your 2 pound purchase.
Magnets on these drivers will not be glued - most likely the magnets are riveted or screwed to the basket.
These are very well regarded and very expensive drivers - recone kits cost 159 pounds according to Turbosound website.
Take a look at the Turbosound site and study the TMS-4 design for high power, high efficiency mids usage.

Eric.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I may have a buyer for you. :) Don't get your hopes up on price, as these things go pretty cheap in the S/H pro audio market, ( I can get 1801s for about £50 each), but it will be a significant factor above what you paid for them!

Where abouts in the SE are you?

You never know:)
I mean they're from the 80's right, so he held on to them for quite a while.

Dude, in 2020 I think this guy will say: "Still for sale, I'm just going to find them", then he'll be back In 2025 & we'll work out the deal, by 2030 I think they'll arrive here.
After all 2030 is much closer to us than the 80's
And it's moving this way
Stay tuned

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.