Enclosure for JBL 2226 as a subwoofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks to Craig's list, I got 4 JBL 4648 speakers for next to nothing. These have two 2226 drivers in an 8cuft ported enclosure. They are heavy and rather ugly. I've got a 77hz FLH from 100hz to 500hz passing on to a Radian 850pb horn going up to around 8k with a Beyma babybutt tweeter. I built a TH that works fine for 100hz and down but just doesn't have the authority/kick for a larger livingroom. Since I've now got these drivers, I'm wondering what folks thought I could build to use them more for their sub vs midbass abilities, even if it's just down to 40hz with speed to match the horns. I think a TH would be just too large. From reading other posts, some folks have mentioned MLTL about which I know very little. I'd like to use two per cabinet, and would like plans or somewhat easy to design options for a build. GM's thoughts in particular would be most appreciated. This is the only very specific build site I've found-though it's a single cab. Thoughts on this? SBP - Almighty Subwoofers by Stig Erik Tangen

Other than above, or just using the existing JBL cabs as they are, JBL also made a very interesting cabinet call a 4685 bandpass with two 2225's (should subsitute) but I can't find any plans that would show the design. http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4685.pdf

Robh- thanks! That was an excellent find. Mind you, I have very limited knowledge of speaker design, but this would suggest to me that I could use some type of enclosure software to model the necessary enclosure vol's and port sizes for chambers 1 & 3. There is one large port in 1 & 3, with two smaller ports in the middle chamber on the actual JBL design. I guess I've used hornresp for the TH's, but don't know what is the best software to model this type of enclosure. I do appreciate your posting.

Nice snag -- wish I had seen the ad before you!

If you want to use these in an equalized cab like the Almighty, I recommend that you use a pair of your 2226's back to back in a very well braced box, and bring about 1500W with you.

If you want the ultimate, build a large brick enclosure for them tuned low or sealed and use 4 per side -- eq to taste.

Last edited:
...I'd like to use two per cabinet, and would like plans or somewhat easy to design options for a build...

Hi, What JBL 2226 version? In case of using 2 x 2226J at home , I suggest to consider a T-TQWT:

b:)

Attachments

• 2xJBL2226J-T-TQWT.JPG
    2xJBL2226J-T-TQWT.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 787
Bjorno, Wow, that's a great looking curve, and apparently doesn't work very well with the 2226H, I tried modeling in hornresp, got nothing like what yours looks like- though I can get about 103db/1watt from 30hz to well over 100hz, but varies from 105 to 110db so not that flat. The grp delay gets huge below 30hz-but this box is still much louder than the JBL boxes at 97db even if they have a flatter response. I've never built one of these-so would have to model it-something I am not good at. Zilch modeled the JBL pretty well in some box software making it fairly easy to copy. Do you think the this driver is still viable for your T-tqwt. I almost think I had to make some mistake, I can't believe how different the response is just from Re and Le changes.

Bjorno, Wow, that's a great looking curve, and apparently doesn't work very well with the 2226H, I tried modeling in hornresp, got nothing like what yours looks like- though I can get about 103db/1watt from 30hz to well over 100hz, but varies from 105 to 110db so not that flat. The grp delay gets huge below 30hz-but this box is still much louder than the JBL boxes at 97db even if they have a flatter response. I've never built one of these-so would have to model it-something I am not good at. Zilch modeled the JBL pretty well in some box software making it fairly easy to copy. Do you think the this driver is still viable for your T-tqwt. I almost think I had to make some mistake, I can't believe how different the response is just from Re and Le changes.

Hi,

Here are some simulations for the JBL 2226H version using only a single driver to compare with:

b:)

Ps: IM0: The gldy is blameless if not exceeding 1/f (mS) below ~50 Hz.

Attachments

• JBL2226H_TH.JPG
    JBL2226H_TH.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 674
  • JBL2226H_T-TQWT.JPG
    JBL2226H_T-TQWT.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 650
Thanks Bjorno- for some reason, even copying your hornresp spec's into mine, I'm not getting the same result-you have to use TH as there is no Tqwt option, right? Do you know of anyplace to find this type of enclosure labeled with hornrep parameters? Any thoughts about what this type of enclosure sounds like vs a standard vented/ported or a bandpass enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.