Baffle size and shape -> baffle step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question about odd baffle shapes and relative baffle size, and how it adds up in relation to baffle step.

The best example I can think about is the Carlsson speakers (photo borrowed from minhembio.com).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Will the whole areal the driver "sees" add up and form the baffle width, thus be the relative baffle size?

I have a question about odd baffle shapes and relative baffle size, and how it adds up in relation to baffle step.

The best example I can think about is the Carlsson speakers (photo borrowed from minhembio.com).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Will the whole areal the driver "sees" add up and form the baffle width,
thus be the relative baffle size?

I'm not sure there is any easy answer to that question, I have found the information that Rudolf Finke has compiled to be very helpful. If you go to his site Google Translate and download the Open Baffle 1 PDF it contains a lot of useful info.

The only way to be sure how a baffle will perform is to build it & test measure it.

David

Hold the phone, I think I had my head stuck up an Open Baffle:D

The baffle step will occur at different frequencies as the distances to the edges from the speakers if irregular, this will probably smooth out the baffles step to some degree. I really have no idea how you would some it all up, except build & measure.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.