Aussie loudspeaker kits: VAF DC-7 vs LSK F6 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty new to the hi-fi world but do consider myself a fairly critical listener so I thought I should buy my first pair of semi-decent speakers... at least for a poor student like myself.

I'm looking at assembling a loudspeaker kit and am struggling to decide between the F6 by LSK (http://www.theloudspeakerkit.com) and VAF's DC-7 (specs: http://www.vaf.com.au), both manufactured in Australia. They're both in the $AUD800-900 price range and I'd be using them purely for 2 channel listening - I'm not a big home cinema person. Too many years of a subwoofer in my car has taken its toll so I want to avoid boomy speakers - even though I listen to some dance music I'd rather the speakers perform better with acoustic instrumental pieces or DJ Shadow type stuff, when I actually care what I'm listening to.

I'm not able to audition either of these speakers, given that the companies are located in different states, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these kits or felt confident enough to make a recommendation based on the specs given on the websites. I'd love to learn more but my current knowledge extends to the degree of "um yeah, that frequency response thingo looks pretty flat".

Thanks heaps,

James

I haven't heard either of these, but a couple of other suggestions are:
Jaycar JV60s http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVi...pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=586, for which you need to build your own cabinets (no flat pack available).
Drivers are similar to those used in the F6 kit, but you get 2 bass drivers per side, giving you more power handling and higher efficiency with a 4 ohm load.
Also you can get the Adire Audio kits at Acoustic Concepts. You should be able to find some review of these on the web.

Sorry I can't help you with any listening experiences. You may find Jaycar JV60s that you can listen to at a local Jaycar outlet.

Mick

andrew01 said:
Spend an extra $500 and buy the VAF DCX.....heaps better , I don't reckon you can get anything else that compares for ~$1500 that sounds as good. Has nice Audax drivers and the cabinet finish is real quality.
Cheers
Andrew

They Audax drivers.... I never knew... can you get the drivers on their own? I have the plans for the boxes.. :) should be able to do them for under $1000 :) lol

The bass drivers are HM210F2 and the tweeter is PR125T1...horn loaded , although VAF say they are "custom" versions made for them.......what the differences may or may not be - who knows !
I suppose you could buy the drivers from VAF and build the cabinets yourself !
The crossover is simple , nothing in Bass side , and a 3.3mF capacitor in series with a R47 resistor in the tweeter leg.
Good Luck
Andrew

Thanks guys,

I'm not impartial to a bit of woodworking so I guess building my own cabinets wouldn't be a bad option - that'd bring the price on the DC-X to just a bit over a grand which isn't too shabby. I think I'd rather buy the drivers as part of a kit at this stage, I'm not sure if I trust myself building crossovers etc at my current level of expertise.

The good news is that I've decided to visit a friend in Melbourne next week so I'll be able to check out the F6 myself. After that it'll be a quick stop at Jaycar to check out their offering and to stare at their Pro Series III power amp and wish my wallet wasn't so empty.

If I haven't wet my pants with excitement at that stage I guess I'll bite the bullet and spring for the DC-X's.

Anyway, thanks again,

James

andrew01 said:
The bass drivers are HM210F2 and the tweeter is PR125T1...horn loaded , although VAF say they are "custom" versions made for them.......what the differences may or may not be - who knows !
I suppose you could buy the drivers from VAF and build the cabinets yourself !
The crossover is simple , nothing in Bass side , and a 3.3mF capacitor in series with a R47 resistor in the tweeter leg.
Good Luck
Andrew

yeah, I knew the crossovers were simple.. lol

A guy I know says his gf has a pair, I told him what the crossover was like, and he claims to have opened them up and seem inductors and stuff for the crossover.. hmmm

VAF DC7 speakers are one of the best sounding speakers I have heard for under 2-3K. I have owned a pair for about 8 years and bought these because I expected them to work well with my low power 15+15w Valve Amp and they have never disappointed. One thing that needs to be said is that with a low powered amp, they sound much better with a sub. I'm also running 8" vifa subs to get a complete sound and have an active crossover at 40Hz between the subs and Vaf DC7's. The valve amp just doesn't have the low down grunt of a transistor amp so I use a 140W/ch amp for the subs. Compared to the Jaycar speakers these are a class above them. A very important factor after the quality is the sensitivity, these are 93db/w@1m and others like those from Jaycar are 87 or 88db/w@1m. This makes my 15w amp work like a 60w amp into the VAF DC7's. Something worth considering. Also while I think of it, when I first completed this kit, it took several days of running these speakers out of phase facing each other before they started to sound sweet, and several weeks before I started to really like them as the sound was really crap when new out the box.

One last point, it is always cheaper to buy what you really want the first time, so if you don't have the money for separate subs, I would recommend buying the complete DC-X speaker kit from VAF. VAF speakers are awesome and won't disappoint.

SkinnyBoy said:

They Audax drivers.... I never knew... can you get the drivers on their own? I have the plans for the boxes.. :) should be able to do them for under $1000 :) lol

Skinnyboy,

I built a set of DC-7's a while ago but i had the boxes sent preassembled. I would love to build the DC-X's as an upgrade project. Would you be able to email me the plans?

Thanks!

Daveooo1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.