Thoughts on My Speaker Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2003, 03:16 AM   #1
Street is offline Street  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Thoughts on My Speaker Design

Hi everybody,

This is going to be my first speaker project however I did not want to build a conventional 2-way design as is normally suggested as a first project. I wanted to build something a little larger, more exotic and with low-end frequency response that that cannot easily be built into a 2-way speaker.

Sorry about the length of the post but I tend to do a lot of research, and learn as much as I can, before I start tossing out questions and ideas. So this is really a very condensed and summarized version of my evolved thoughts on building speakers after the last month of reading. I should also thank all the people on this board for the wealth of knowledge that I have been able to find here. The information gathered here has been one of many invaluable resources on loudspeaker design.

My current thoughts on design:

To build a 3-way tower using 4 drivers per speaker and consisting of a tweeter, midrange and two woofers. I would like to mount the woofers in a sealed push/pull and/or isobarik configuration to reduce driver distortion. I'm not really sure which woofer setup I favor so hopefully you guys can give me some advice on that. I'm looking mostly at 10" drivers as I have a set of speakers with 8" drivers and they dont quite do it for me with some of my music collection. Although, I assume most of the people are on this forum are similar minded to me in their preference of bass I figure I should throw out my preferences anyways. I'm NOT interested in loud, boomy, rumble your house bass but in tight, undistorted base that has a flat low frequency response, which hopefully is reflected in my design choices.

The midrange and the tweeter I would like to mount in an open baffle configuration. I have read some discussion on baffle size for open baffle setups, however this has always pertained to woofers and increasing low frequency. Is baffle size something I should be considering when dealing with midrange and tweeters? My current plan is to try to keep the baffle small with a rounded profile that shadows the shape of the drivers to hopefully minimize diffraction.

I am trying to keep the cost of drivers low and preferably no larger than $300. This really is the part of the design that is holding me up due to the number of drivers I would like to use (eight).For a tweeter I am planning on using vifa or Peerless as there tweeters are very inexpensive and I've head good things about both. I havent looked carefully into specific tweeters as I have the largest choice of tweeters in my price range and therefore am going to pick this after I have chosen my midrange and woofers.

I consider midrange to be very important due the frequencies it must cover, therefore, I dont want to completely cheap out on midrange drivers. I was hoping to get some suggestions of decent midrange drivers that would perform well in an open baffle configuration. Speaking of, are there any driver parameters that need to be considered when selecting drivers for an open baffle speaker?

The woofers really are the biggest cash sink and since I need 4 of them this is really where I think I need to cut my costs. I've done some messing around with WinISD and most of the inexpensive drivers I've been able to find. But the nicest frequency response I've been able to develop so far has been with the Goldwood GW-1038 10" and it happens to be one of the less expensive drivers I've seen. With a large sealed box and isobarik configuration I am able to generate a pretty nice frequency response with a gradual roll-off slope, an F3 of 25HZ, Qtc of 0.94 and the dB Peak is still under one. I had wanted to get a Qtc close to 0.707 however it seems that this driver is incapable of reaching such a level. I realize the specification game is really only part of the picture so I was wondering if someone has had any experience with this driver. Also, I have not been able to find any specifications more detailed than what is available from PartsExpress and it would be nice to see a frequency response graph of the woofer.

I would love to hear all your thoughts on my current design plans. I am a little concerned that my budget is too small for this project. It would really be a shame if despite my best design efforts I built a mediocre to poor set of speakers mostly due to a lacking of quality drivers. If this seems to be the general consensus I may have to rethink some of my design or try to find a way to increase my project's budget.

Anyways, thanks for all of your help. I look forwards to hearing all of your thoughts and ideas.

-Street
Old 21st July 2003, 12:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hmm i dont know about goldwood,even if the specs are nice, you never know how it sounds til you buy it.
Notice there is no distortion measurements,but a jBL such as my 15 does have THD measurements at 60wat input.

i would stick with the treid and proven vifas such as 8inch,i wouldnt go any larger,you need the midranger to be non beamy.
even a vifa 6.5inch,perhaps a kit or set of speakers,with crossovers to avoid fiddling for hours + magic lol to get it working nice?/

im a sub guy at moment not main speakers,yet..
im sure il evolve.

if u have a decent sub in the first place,you wont need isobarik.i find its best for cheap crap woofers but thats mainly all.

planet10 has made isobariks i think.

so you want a small sub smooth sub? go for peerless 10inch XLS it is very tiny with a PR,or a shiva in 54L sealed,or similar dont forget efficiency with not much power you need a decent rating.

i would go for a ported box,tuned to say 40hz, with a nice roll off SIMILAR to sealed box,but not quite that bad, i think it will be better sounding and smoother,also it may help incase room gain boosts lower Frequencies,perhaps like a SBB4,-modified <alignment that winisd pro does.>

since no one has replied i thought i would share my 2cents
Old 21st July 2003, 06:55 PM   #3
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
with $300 to spend on drivers you are going to be challenged. i however would prefer to spend on smaller drivers of higher quality. a sample break u would be....

2 x tweeters $50
2 x 6" midbass $100
4 x 8/10" woofers $150

at these prices we are not considering vifa or peerless. they might be too expensive. dayton might be more affordable.
Old 21st July 2003, 07:16 PM   #4
Account Disabled

um.... if you have never designed a speaker before, a 3-way, and especially one with an open baffle will not be successfull. Will Not.

Build Wayne J's Veritas, and you will be happy.

I cant get to the link right now, but you can find it at www.speakerbuilder.net

I can assure you that it is an outstanding design, with outstanding sound quality.

I can also assure you that you will not succeed in making a nice sounding speaker, much less one with a flat frequency response (there are many speakers with flat frequency responses that sound bad).

-Paul Hilgeman
Old 21st July 2003, 07:30 PM   #5
AndersP is offline AndersP  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Street: Im sorry, but Id also strongly suggest you to cancel or to choose yourself a project on another level.

Its fully possible to build a set of speakers with a very decent performance on your budget, but they wont even resemble the project you described.

If I were you I would build a couple of nice 2w monitors with provisions for extension, at a later date, with 2 active, tower shaped subs witch would also act as stands.
Old 21st July 2003, 07:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I can only 2nd navin's and Paul's comments.

Try to see through the allure of cheap drivers. If you look at the better designs using cheap drivers, they often use complex crossovers to tame the beasts, sometimes even negating the cost savings.

Also, don't be suckered in by PE's prices. Your in-your-hands cost will be much higher in The City of Champions (muhaha; sorry, couldn't hold back ). I bought 4 12" Goldwood's for my dipoles, but regret I did when I saw the final cost.
Old 21st July 2003, 07:50 PM   #7
ronc is offline ronc  United States
diyAudio Member

As i am really into horns and TLs i can state that a poineerB20 run full range in a TL (no crossovers) with a helper tweet rolled in at around 8Khz(takes a cap and an l-pad) will give you a near flat response and very powerful bass for the least investment.However a properly designed TL is very hard to do for a first timer.
ron
Old 24th July 2003, 01:56 AM   #8
Street is offline Street  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input. I was kinda suspecting/fearing to hear what you all have told me. So, I'm scrapping my 3-way project and looking at a 2-way design. I may try to build something similar to the design I described above once I have a little more experience under my belt and when my budget is not so constrained by things such as tuition.

I'm currently trying to decide between a MTM driver configuration and spending less money per driver or having 2 drivers per speaker and buying more expensive drivers. Anyways, I'll post my re-thought out design to make sure there are no big holes in my thinking.

Thanks again for the help and happy speaker building.

-Street
Old 24th July 2003, 02:22 AM   #9
drewman is offline drewman  United States
diyAudio Member

I think that with your budget, you should look @ Vifa and Peerless for the tweeter/midbass combo, and look towards Dayton for the woofers. (I have been using some 8" Daytons for project woofers, and for $15 each they have been great, clean with deep extension) Anyway, that's my two cents, I hope it has helped. Oh, and before you start to build, make sure that you do plenty of reading and get a firm grasp of what you are wanting to do (on paper) before you turn a single screw. LATER!!!!!!!

Drewman
Old 24th July 2003, 05:10 AM   #10
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Street
I was kinda suspecting/fearing to hear what you all have told me. So, I'm scrapping my 3-way project and looking at a 2-way design.
I'm currently trying to decide between a MTM driver configuration
Thanks again for the help and happy speaker building.

-Street
i'd look at a 2.5 way if i were you.

option 1: 2 x 6.5" Vifa M22 and 1 x D27 (should be about $150 per side)

option 2: front baffle 1 x 6" 1 x 1". rear baffle 1 x 8" push push. others on the forum can elaborate.

also i would consider series XOs.

Hide this!Advertise here!