Large (90deg) DIY Unity Horn:
Red Spade Audio: Synergy prototype #2 - construction 3

KoReh.jpg

Uvz9C.jpg

Directivity sonogram, normalised
Xlc9J.jpg

Frequency plots, 0-90deg, 10deg increment, non-normalised:
DdgeN.png

The narrowing of the Yorkville was a surprise. It could be related to the lack of a mouth round over. There is an interesting AES paper by Keele about a certain CE horn, it basically joins an expo throat to a conical, but they found that a second flare angle was needed at the mouth to avoid beaming. This is why you see that second flare on the Synergy horn, to avoid pattern narrowing and I suspect it might be the cause of the problem.

I've built two Synergy horns so far and the bigger one shown here with the mouth flare is the smoother of the two, clearly better. Achieving pattern control so far down into the midrange does sound very different. It is a dry sound, quite unfamiliar. I believe wider dispersion that you get with just about everything except very big horns and dipoles, even in a Geddes Summa, is responsible for a sense of added body to the sound. The absence of this effect is startling. At first I wasn't convinced.

A couple of things I notice about the Synergy horn. Very detailed, it's as if details buried start to emerge, low level detail. I'm not talking about the artificial sense of detail you get with some speakers, but instead you notice details otherwise missed, like a little tap of the drummer's foot. Great clarity. Extreme dynamics. Very clean and composed at all levels. There are quite a few things in common with other high sensitivity speakers, but I would say there is greater clarity and detail. That is not to say that everyone would prefer this over a two way like an Ewave or a Geddes style speaker. Within the spectrum of speakers, I would say they are in similar territory although also with clear differences.

Just started a new thread on them:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/200539-diy-synergy-horn.html

Pyle Pro PH612 (Econowave) $15 and Celestion CDX1-1745 $90

Aluminium adapter is used on the compression driver to mount to screw-on waveguide
k78ip.jpg

Device under test:

mpDNF.jpg

Measurement graphs. Indoor, 1250 LR2 xo, no EQ or notches

Non-Normalised

ehhI6.png

Og5Db.png

Normalised

BRRKU.png

TulE7.png

Very smooth directivity, rivaling B&C DE250 + the same Pyle waveguide.

Three of us did listening comparison and can happily say this is as good as the more expensive B&C DE250. Very good value.

Blue: Celestion CDX1-1745
Black: B&C DE250
There is nothing between them even with the same XO configuration.

0t0UQ.jpg

Last edited:
in its range a Karlson-slotted pipe is one of the best sounding waveguides I've heard/used. Karlson first used a slotted metal pipe around 1966 in production "X15" system - the 1965 X15 had a wooden waveguide.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hey Norm where can I get that waveguide? - it might be a bit wide for my reflex boxes in vertical configuration

I've run the little Transylvania Power Company "The Tube" on top of these
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Have any one else tried the Faital Pro STH100, tractrix? I have bought a pair but haven’t tried them in a setup yet.

I am going to use them together with Faital HF104.

The horn is extremely cheap. Especially considered its high build quality and that it is made in cast aluminium. In Sweden it only costs 24 euro a piece.

Many of my acquaintance are very enthusiastic about this combination of driver and horn and say that this is something of the best they have experienced. I am of cause very keen to try them and se what they are good for.

Kind regards
/Forsman

oops, hiya Freddi.

Those look like my jbl 4508a boxes you have.

waveguide ?

I'm closely looking at the jbl 2384 horn (1.5" rounded throat to conical, similar to peavey quadratic or geddes but 90 x 40 dispersion I like). It is not sold seperately but can be bought from a jbl part supplier. There are 2 or so versions, one with the thread on 1" threaded (3622 loudspeaker I think) and the 1.5" version in 4622. But $180 is getting price for me to play with just 1, and I don't own any 1.5" jbl drivers either. I bet it is better than my ev hr horn though.

Maybe after X-mass.

Norman