Help with choosing tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Tweeter needed:

• <$30
  • Crossing over to a Vifa P13 at +/- 3500hz
  • Low FS
  • using a 2nd order electrical rolloff (1st if I can get away with it)
  • Vifa or Peerless (perhaps Morel)

Also, anyone ever used or evaluated the Peerless CSX 176 H - 850122 as a mid in a 3way?

http://www.d-s-t.com/peerless/data/850122.htm

The graph looks pretty smooth until a small hump at around 4k. Just looking higher power alternatives to the P13. Anyone?

Thanks.

Mos

Mos,
I don't have any measuring equipment other than an SPL meter. I do everything by ear and I do it as simply as I can. I would guess that the acoustic xover point is in the range that you're thinking about, 3500ish hz. I'm running it with a 3uF cap and am running it with an Audax HM170G8 in 2.5 way configuration. The tweeter is also padded with a 3.5 ohm resistor.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ok... I think I can help here.

Check out my website. www.geocities.com/paul_hilgeman

I currently use the Focal TC90TDX with the 850122 in a 2-way.

I had previously used the T27TFFC, and switched to the focal because of a deal that I got on it. I am undoubtedly happier with the focal. Eventhough it has a rising top end, which is on their FR graph, and I measured it and saw, it sounds wonderful. It is VERY detailed and revealing. The Seas is softer and warmer, but the focal is neither warm, nor cold.

The 850122 is a great midwoofer. From my measurements, that peak is about 4dB. I cross at 2.2K 24dB per octave, and it is completely eliminated. I dont know if I would recomend it for a mid in a 3-way, I would always look for a smaller driver if I could. I would look at the smaller version of this woofer, the GR M130, the new Silver Flute Drivers, or the Vifa P13 for a midrange.

If you want to go with a huge box, that will probably never need a sub, go with two 850122 in a huge ~80Liters net internal volume, double Bass Reflex. This is what I would do if I had the space.

-Paul Hilgeman

Thanks, Paul.

My original configuration for my 3way was:

2 x Vifa P21
1 x Vifa P13
1 x Morel MDT 20

I had considered the Peerless CSX 8" for the woofs but the vifas, although dearer, go a lot lower. WinISD said a 127L box for this but everything looks acceptable if you wind the volume down to 70 litres.

It's just the tweeter that was bugging me.

Mos

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mos Fetish said:
Really? Do you know the XO freq for that? And the tweaking?

Not my project, check out the TLb, i expect somewhere in there the effective XO can be deduced (somewhere around 4 k is my guess). ChrisB went thru a lot of XO work on his Dalines when he replaced the Linn tweeter ... he ended up with a single cap as well.

The tweaking was done by another local fellow, and i'm not privy to everything he did, but the recipe goes basically like this... pull the back cover, smooth & damp the internal bits with ductseal, and add a larger, less rectangular rear enclosure with revised damping. You could take it a step further an build a B&W-like TL.

dave

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Nautilus?

planet10 said:
The tweaking was done by another local fellow, and I'm not privy to everything he did, but the recipe goes basically like this... Pull the back cover, smooth & damp the internal bits with ductseal, and add a larger, less rectangular rear enclosure with revised damping. You could take it a step further and build a B&W-like TL.

When you say B&W-like TL, do you mean the tweeter or the woofer? I've been toying with the idea of ripping the back off my Morel MDT33 and fitting a dinky TL, but haven't plucked up the nerve/time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.