Cal's little boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
(first 4 posts transferred from another thread)

The first pic is the box all taped to protect from the saw. The little amp will be running four Jordan 6T's, two on the front and two on the sides.

Second pic is from the back where the port and now unused speaker connectors along with the place on top where the small Dayton 25W plate amp will go. (on order)

Third is the bottom mount for the woofer along with the drivers. I will be adding feet to the bottom to raise it an inch or so.

I know I'm not known for little stuff but this should be fun and unlike most of my stuff, portable :)

Attachments

• IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_1629.jpg
    IMG_1629.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 573
I learned a lot here and it was fun. Went from a DVD player to an iPod for source. It just seemed to make sense from the "spirit of the project" point of view.

And in usual Cal style, the little thing cranks. I used the high level inputs on the plate amp as there are no line level on the little Kama Bay amp. The plate amp does not have a high pass so I tapped into the back of it and added 100ufd caps on the Jordan's. Although the Jordan's are not very sensitive, they still are loud enough to pi$$ off the neighbours. The 25 watt plate amp is more than enough. It goes boom boom real nice. :smash:

Still some clean-up to do but I've spent a couple days on this and I wanted to post as once again I'm a happy pappy.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1750.jpg
    IMG_1750.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 286
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would have assumed you were planning to feed them to your "normal" drivers.
:D Ain't that the truth.
those are Cal's earplugs
You guys kill me.

Nice job Cal! Looks real good and I've wanting to do a similar project for some time now. Were there any cheaper drivers you considered?
Thanks. The drivers were a product of using up some stuff. In fact, if I do it again, I will up the size a bit (I know, big surprise)

Perhaps some 4.5" drivers and a 6.5" woofer. Still small I know but something with a little more gusto. This set up can only annoy the neighbours one down and one over. Next, something than can reach two doors and two floors ;)

This whole thing started because I was building the latest monsters http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/174991-cals-next-venture.html and a sweet old lady walked by the workshop, took a liking to what I was doing and disappeared for a couple of minutes. When she reappeared she had this little Samsung woofer box from a "home theatre in the box" under her arm and asked if I might have a use for it. Well didn't that set the wheels in motion and as soon as I got the big boys finished, this started.

It's an addiction. Better than some of the others in my life but still an addiction. Wait till you guys see what's coming down the pipe next. Oh man my wife is gonna be mad. :)

Cheers.

... and a sweet old lady walked by the workshop, took a liking to what I was doing and disappeared for a couple of minutes. When she reappeared she had this little Samsung woofer box from a "home theatre in the box" under her arm and asked if I might have a use for it. ... Oh man my wife is gonna be mad. :)

Cheers.

Hey, I just think " a sweet old lady" was happy because she threw away the Samsung woofer box, it must have taken too much space in her apartment :)

"Unfortunately" your wife must have a hard time to find somebody building bigger speakers than yours, so (while you're not a home) she can take them away and ask the guy if he can have any use of them :rofl:

Just kidding :D

Hey, I just think " a sweet old lady" was happy because she threw away the Samsung woofer box, it must have taken too much space in her apartment :)

It was down in her storage locker gathering dust. I live in a 45+ place and I am a real spring chicken here, far and away the youngest man. The old girls are mostly widows now so when a young buck is down in the workshop, I guess it reminds them of their husbands from many moons ago. Can't tell you how many offers for tea and biscuits I get. ;)

"Unfortunately" your wife must have a hard time to find somebody building bigger speakers than yours, so (while you're not a home) she can take them away and ask the guy if he can have any use of them :rofl:

Just kidding :D

Ow, you're stabbing me right in the speaker muscle. Bad Vix. :D

Hm..that's what happens when you get away from the earplugs... You should make another boombox, just for the kitchen. Actually, here's the idea: Connect your source with the small Fm transmitter. let it transmit whatven you play on your main system. However should you find yourself in the kitchen, here's' the solution: Build a small FM receiver, a small amp, and a pair of moisture-proof drivers into a kitchen ventilation hood. Include a small switch. So, next time when you go to prepare the dinner, just turn it on. Not Hi-Fi, but otherwise not a bad idea. High-waf,a s the whole thing would be invisible. Later, you could add a small sub, hidden somewhere in the kitchen... :)
I have my DIY mobile cheeseboombox as well. Will make some pics tonight and post here :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.