A wood finish question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, those are nice suggestions, but you'd know I couldn't be doing "normal" lettering.

I have a font for the Qumran Isaiah scroll handwriting. It's just beautiful stuff, and I want to somehow get that writing printed so that I can get it onto Maple (that's a non-porous wood).

In essence, it's the same thing as getting a picture from the computer to wood.

Dave

I see you already found a solution but I was going to recommend laser engraving the speakers and then either placing laser cut inlays or something similar into it. This is the type of equipment that I deal with, here is an example of something pretty complex that one of our customers did.

Attachments

• ak.jpg
    ak.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 333
Letraset it's a transparent sheet of "stickeable" letters and symbols. You place it over a surface, scratch it on the other side (with a pencil or something) and it's transfered. Then you protect it with someting (clear laquer f.ex.) so it won't come off. Works kinda nice for simple lettering.

Lisandro_P said:
Letraset it's a transparent sheet of "stickeable" letters and symbols. You place it over a surface, scratch it on the other side (with a pencil or something) and it's transfered. Then you protect it with someting (clear laquer f.ex.) so it won't come off. Works kinda nice for simple lettering.

Yeah, but what about a custom graphics? Can I DIY that somehow?

You could try that iron-on T-shirt inkjet paper, it might work

If you were gonna go that route, you can actually get blank decal sheets especially for inkjet printers. And if you are serious about custom decals, I think Microscale does them. This is all very common in modelmaking, especially trains. You may just want to pop into your local hobby store.

Exactly. A hobby store. They can do custom? That would be great. And probably inexpensive, eh?

eh?

Sorry, I have no idea of the cost, as I've never done it. My guess is that the blank decal sheets are cheapest. Another technique used in modelling is to have full sheets of couloured decal sheet, and cut out whatever lettering you want with a modeller's knife.

Hello,

I rescently used a product called lazertran with very good results. Mine was on aluminum but on their website they use it on everything from tee shirts to ceramic tile. Wood should work too. You just print out a high quality proof of your lettering on a laser printer or an inkjet, take it down to kinkos and copy it onto the decal sheet. It soaks off the backing and you put it on and it dries quite hard and is only i think a few mils thick. Dont run the sheets through a normal hp laserjet or anything unless you like the idea of picking it out the back with needlenose pliers in tiny pieces... Not fun at all. Its worth the trip to the copy machine. Heres the manufacturers website. www.lazertran.com .

-Chris

Thanks

If I can't figure out how to get custom graphics affordably dry-transferred using Letraset or some other dry technique, then Lazertran looks like a viable and affordable technique.

At any rate, it is certainly possible to get a nice printed graphic (or, in my case, strange font) onto wood without special skills, equipment or high cost.

Any other suggestions, though, are still welcome.

Thanks all,

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.