Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2013, 02:27 PM   #411
mac is offline mac  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
The "Plutos" aren't real Plutos:

Linkwitz Pluto + MiniDSP + ClassD
And the construction of them was in no way based on information contained in the plans, right?

There was a whole thread on the OPLUG about this chap's build. I know exactly what they are and how they came to be.
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:27 PM   #412
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Dipoles turned side ways = cardioid ....
No.

Monopole:

Click the image to open in full size.

Dipole:

Cardioid:

Attached Images
File Type: png polar_chart_omni.png (4.0 KB, 463 views)
File Type: png polar_chart_figure-eight.png (5.3 KB, 457 views)
File Type: png polar_chart_cardioid.png (4.4 KB, 279 views)
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:08 PM   #413
diyAudio Member

Is there really a point to this thread? That the Orion had flaws from the get go isn't exactly news. I pointed out several of them when it was first introduce. Some have been addressed over time. Some are inherent in the design (low tweeter x-o point leading to excessive divergence from dipole radiation above the x-o point). I addressed some of the issues in the original NaO design later in the original NaO Note took it further. Today we have the Note II and the LX521 which both follow the original Note concept. The Note II and LX521 both address the flaws on the Orion and are remarkable similar. They are both superior designs to the Orion and would likely fair differently in any comparative tests.

I will add one thing about such test. Regardless of the tests, if the subjects are used to listen to convectional box speakers then even in a blind test it is probably likely that they will have a build in bias (subconscious) to box type speakers because they will recognize the sound as familiar. Since dipoles will typically sound very different it is likely that they would be discounted as they would stand out and under such tests human psychology suggest that this deviation for the generally more familiar sound of a box system (the norm) would trigger a "fault" response.

It's time to move on here. As usual the discussion leads nowhere. Audio is never about perfection though some would like you to believe it is. It's about personal preference. If I like inaccurate, boosted bass or glaring highs who is anybody to tell me I'm wrong?
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:12 PM   #414
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
Audio is never about perfection though some would like you to believe it is. It's about personal preference.
Reproduction shouldn't have anything to do with personal preference. Do you have a preference how the colors of your TV or projector should be calibrated?
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:20 PM   #415
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john k... View Post
They are both superior designs to the Orion and would likely fair differently in any comparative tests.
So much for "Build your last loudspeakers yourself or let us build them for you"

The problem is not that we should aim for perfection. The problem is that we have pseudo-scientific, unsubstantiated, subjective bias offered by Audiophile Gurus to influence people's purchasing decisions. It's misleading, it's wrong, and does not serve the DIY community's best interest. We may as well believe all the hype we read in Stereophile.
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:32 PM   #416
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Markus and John k are both right and wrong.

John k thinks that reproduced music is always faulty in some way. It is impossible to sound exactly like natural sound from a singer, instrument or orchestra (in some room/space)

Markus thinks that the reproduction must be truthful to original sound caught by microphones or at least as it is recorded and put on a record (in two channels usually)

What sense is in arguing if we talk about different things?

I was at two live conserts yesterday and the day before. The sound is always different. If you want a record to sound "live", you must also define, which concert hall and which seat, how many people. How are the diffusers, panels and curtains set etc. ..endlessly
AES Associate Member / My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, XLS10+PR/Hypex, -08 CSS125FR, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, -08 TangBand FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470, -13 AINOgradient
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:39 PM   #417
dewardh is offline dewardh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
So the trick is to add single strong first reflections while keeping the level of the diffuse sound field low.
That's exactly what a dipole does . . .
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:41 PM   #418
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewardh View Post
That's exactly what a dipole does . . .
And so does a standard box speaker.
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:45 PM   #419
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
Although some dipole fans here like to absorb the rear wave as well
That kind of defeats the purpose . . .
Old 22nd February 2013, 03:47 PM   #420
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenm01 View Post
And so does a standard box speaker.
No, the "standard box speaker" suffers from an irregular polar response that produces a correspondingly irregular "first reflection".

Hide this!Advertise here!