Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2010, 05:58 AM   #121
jamikl is offline jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

There are a couple of things about this thread which interest me. (a) The Behringer has a polypropylene cone. These are often, lets say, rubbished
in the forums. (b) the woofer was only 83/4 inches. I did note that the sound levels were not overly loud but the room was quite large for a home.
(c)The Behringer was two way with a CD waveguide.

Perhaps it shows that relatively simple is capable of good presentation in the
domestic situation. As a lot of people seem to favour using 10 inch woofers I wonder if this would be a most practical setup for a lot of us, and in particular for people just starting out. Perhaps even 21/2 way with two 10s or 8s to get some low grunt as they say. I think sensitivity or, what ever it is, into the low-mid 90s would be a good thing too.

If I had a job or a pension I would be looking at this format, but that's a whole other story. There have been DIY reference builds before with contributions to the design from members. Would this format be worthy of
such development with a kit available at the end so that it did not become
yet another theoretical thread?
jamikl

Last edited by jamikl; 23rd November 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:53 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceperry View Post
One thing the Orion does allow you to hear is that many "exotic" preamps aren't better than cheaper versions. Different, but not better.

The Orions contain a much longer and less transparent signal chain than most preamps, especially minimalist designs. Your observation merely states their excellence at masking.
Old 26th November 2010, 02:26 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
The Orions contain a much longer and less transparent signal chain than most preamps, especially minimalist designs. Your observation merely states their excellence at masking.
Surely that's a statement that is true for all loudspeakers compared with (well designed) preamps and power amps. I wouldn't single out the Orions in that respect.

The more interesting question is do the Orions transmit the input signal to the room with more accuracy and tangible sonic impact than other loudspeaker designs?
Old 26th November 2010, 03:07 AM   #124
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boconnor View Post
Surely that's a statement that is true for all loudspeakers compared with (well designed) preamps and power amps. I wouldn't single out the Orions in that respect.
No.

Most loudspeakers don't have that huge train of electronics in front of them. Every stage (and there are a lot of them), every op-amp, will add another layer of not quite transparent (some would say i'm being charitable) film between the preamp & the speaker, burying any of the subtle nuance.

dave
Old 26th November 2010, 03:43 AM   #125
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

There's a large train of electronics in front of the music on the source material you're playing on your system right now. Most likely many more op-amps, capacitive DC blockers, etc, etc, than is contained in the Orion ASP.

Also remember the Orion ASP is an entirely analog unit and doesn't have any of those horrible ADC's and DAC's that bury the subtle nuance in DSP units.

Let's consider the whole picture.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 26th November 2010, 03:55 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
No. Most loudspeakers don't have that huge train of electronics in front of them. Every stage (and there are a lot of them), every op-amp, will add another layer of not quite transparent (some would say i'm being charitable) film between the preamp & the speaker, burying any of the subtle nuance. dave
The active crossover design of the Orions is likely to be much more accurate, transparent and benign to the amps then a similar transfer function implemented as a passive design - that's just well established engineering knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
There's a large train of electronics in front of the music on the source material you're playing on your system right now. Most likely many more op-amps, capacitive DC blockers, etc, etc, than is contained in the Orion ASP.Dave.
Thoroughly agree.
Old 26th November 2010, 04:25 AM   #127
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boconnor View Post
The active crossover design of the Orions is likely to be much more accurate, transparent and benign to the amps then a similar transfer function implemented as a passive design
More accurate i'll give you. Not necessarily as benign. A passive XO & loudspeaker don't produce the 4th, 5th, 6th .... order distortion products of a piece of electronics, especially one with lots of feedback.

dave
Old 26th November 2010, 04:59 AM   #128
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It all seems a "Tempest in a Teapot" to me.

Have you ever heard the Orion? Nice speaker, but not an imaging monster. Rather flat from my listening experience.

Oddly, only I seem to be the only one to have commented on what should be a very important point.
"The core group found that AS could not be judged without EQ-ing the speakers"

The Behringer and the Eickmeier had to be EQ'd to match the Orion. Even then:
"Matching was not perfect even after EQ"

Important?

The Behringer and the Eickmeier also had subwoofer support. That is going to change things. The test results are not surprising to me. It was only a test of "AS", nothing more. For that the Orion is not the best I've ever heard, not by a long shot. Something more mundane or more bizarre just might do better. Seems they did - a little.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:33 AM   #129
MarkT is offline MarkT  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A passive XO & loudspeaker don't produce the 4th, 5th, 6th .... order distortion products of a piece of electronics, especially one with lots of feedback.

dave
I wonder whether this is the case. As an example, look at the Zaphaudio harmonic distortion measurements on some of the more upmarket woofers (eg. the scanspeak 18WU8741T00 or the seas W18EX001; if we look at woofers rather than tweeters the 5th harmonic has more chance of being in the audible range). I see that the 5th harmonic is mostly around 70 decibels down from the fundamental, or about 0.03%. I would be surprised if the total harmonic distortion, let alone just the 5th harmonic, of the opamp circuits in the orion crossover was much higher than this, assuming reasonably competent design!
Old 26th November 2010, 01:02 PM   #130
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT View Post
I wonder whether this is the case. As an example, look at the Zaphaudio harmonic distortion measurements on some of the more upmarket woofers (eg. the scanspeak 18WU8741T00 or the seas W18EX001; if we look at woofers rather than tweeters the 5th harmonic has more chance of being in the audible range). I see that the 5th harmonic is mostly around 70 decibels down from the fundamental, or about 0.03%. I would be surprised if the total harmonic distortion, let alone just the 5th harmonic, of the opamp circuits in the orion crossover was much higher than this, assuming reasonably competent design!
Yeah, I would agree with that. On my Orion ASP distortion products above third-order are unmeasurable. At least with my measuring system.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hide this!Advertise here!