Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

No, the Haas effect will suppress the mirror sources and the direct sound will determine the perceived position, even if less loud than the reflections. The mathematical truth is not what the brain perceives.

Numbers? What are the numbers for delay, level, angle, spectrum for this to be true in acoustically small spaces? Are those numbers the same for natural sources and phantom sources alike?

Last edited:
why do you believe a speaker that radiates uniformly would generally create a source that does NOT vary in direction?
Because I've heard it . . .

You can't have both.
If that means anything it's not because you said so. :rolleyes:

You keep making these vacuous comments that have no bearing on the behavior of real loudspeakers in real rooms . . . what is the point? :confused:

Rudolf, for comparison could you post previous measurements, but with perhaps 3ms window to confirm stability of direct sound.

I suspect that your naked mid is producing horrible diffraction from front frame, and is compounded by both reflections and additional diffraction from magnet. This is based on measurements I have made with similar driver.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There should be no even cancellation through the spectrum for constant directivity sources. Cancellation should be weaker for higher frequencies.

Rudolf

Not what was seen with a number of people who did the test in the other thread. Why would cancellation be weaker for higher frequencies?

Also the evenness of cancellation is not dependent on whether the speaker is constant directivity or not. A higher DR ratio points to directivity.

Last edited:
So, you have selectively ignored the questions you don't have answers for without admitting as much.

Err, "please see the other thread" means that I've participated there and that I did the D/R ratio test. Do you want me to search that post and link it?

And yet, you keep asking questions despite people providing answers to you.

They provide answers, yes, but on closer examination those answers are merely their beliefs.

Seems like there is no point arguing with you because your intent is to not solve anything or let anything be resolved.

My sole interest is to "solve" genuine questions and gain knowledge but people just offer their beliefs camouflaged as facts.

Last edited:
Err, "please see the other thread" means that I've participated there and that I did the D/R ratio test. Do you want me to search that post and link it?

They provide answers, yes, but on closer examination those answers are merely their beliefs.

My sole interest is to "solve" genuine questions and gain knowledge but people just offer their beliefs camouflaged as facts.

Ask yourself some genuine questions, work out an experimental design, pull out a measurement microphone, and perhaps grab a tape measure. Generate some real data. Analyze it.

Your don't seem to like all the data and information you receive from others.

Build nice simple 3" FR pipe mounted (and well damped), point them at the ceiling and have a good listen. Ignore frequency response/timbrel issues and concentrate on the imaging performance. This should be easy to do. Easier than clogging up thread with snippy retorts.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Could you, please?

Enough facts have been presented. Once again, did you examine the files posted by Pano? What did you find?

Do you care to present your hypothesis on at least one issue: the claim that <700 Hz aids localization? Do you think it is true, false, or there is not enough information to say clearly whether it is true or false?

These things will help us understand where you come from. And maybe we can agree to disagree. Otherwise, we will keep going around in circles.

I'm sorry that it distresses you that my experience doesn't confirm your beliefs, but yes, reality trumps "theory" every time.
I believe the real answer is not to listen to one's speakers at all; obviously the hearing system is too defective to be relied upon to come to any reasonable conclusion about anything - so after putting on some music, let a microphone and sound analysis software determine whether in fact the sound quality is "sufficient" -- if it gives you the thumbs up, then you can allow yourself the guilty pleasure of deciding that you should be enjoying what you're hearing ... :)

Rudolf, for comparison could you post previous measurements, but with perhaps 3ms window to confirm stability of direct sound.
This is a 7 ms gate (free from reflections) for 0° (green) and 180° (red). Mikrophone between mid driver and Neo3. Crossovers at 500 and about 2000 Hz.

peer_neo response 0 180.gif

More about the system in www.dipolplus.de/Dipol_Schallwand.pdf page 27. I try to not use a driver in a range where diffraction becomes a severe problem. The Neo3 dip tells you that I don't achieve that completely. :eek:

Numbers? What are the numbers for delay, level, angle, spectrum for this to be true in acoustically small spaces? Are those numbers the same for natural sources and phantom sources alike?

A phantom source does not radiate sound and so does not get reflected.

What I talk about is the acoustic signature of the two speakers used in stereo. The precedence effect does not differentiate between articificial and natural sources.

Not what was seen with a number of people who did the test in the other thread.
The graphs were all over the place, if you regard them all as equally "right".
Why would cancellation be weaker for higher frequencies?
My room is 5 x 4 m. 100 Hz is 3,4 m wavelength. If both speakers are at leat roughly symmetrical to the room axis, L-R should produce almost complete cancellation in that range and below.
At high frequencies a large part of the sound arriving at the mikrophone will be from boundery reflections - which are much harder to be kept perfectly antiphase at small wavelength.
If your speaker has rising directivity, the ratio between reflected sound and direct sound will become lower with rising frequency, resulting in better cancellation.

Have you ever done L+R versus L-R measurements outside your sweet spot? From what you report about your listening impressions, they shouldn't deviate much from the sweet spot measurement.

Rudolf

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76
Why would a new sound source smear an old sound source?

Because that new sound sources comes from a different location.

And is too loud compared to direct sound?

I still think that the off axis to listener sound from a directional speaker has to fall off quickly and uniformly, otherwise the information radiated into the most sensitive range of our hearing - and therefore the most information rich radiation - is either masked or distorted. The spectra in the Stonebridge site show this rather clearly.

And we should remember that on the recording is also spacial information regarding the performance space which is relatively low level, and may also be masked.

Music Frequencies: Musical Instrument Frequency Spectrograms- Stonebridge Mastering – The Studio Blog
Music Frequencies: Musical Instrument Frequency Spectrograms

"The full range of each musical instrument below was captured with each note being played for precisely the same duration. We have been using these recordings and spectrograms to create a product we plan to release soon and decided to make these images available for viewing. Enjoy!
All rights in and to the images below are reserved"