Linkwitz Orions beaten by Behringer.... what!!?

Paying $99 for a $15 discount on one paper? Forgive me if I don't see the economic appeal for most people.

So you'll gladly open your wallet to Siegfried Linkwitz, but you won't pay for an annual membership to the Audio Engineering Society (AES)?

I encourage you to join the AES. You might actually learn something useful about Audio Engineering.

What's with the Guru worship? Reading the posts here, one would think Siegfried Linkwitz is the Second Coming of Christ.

There's rather more to it than that, I think. In the original ORION design SL targets constant power response more than constant directivity (which is a means, not an end). He wanted to avoid baffle step, and that led to dipole bass "all the way down". He already knew (from previous designs) that dipole bass sounds better (more natural) down to and well below the Schroder frequency (which is not itself a "fixed" number but depends on the listening room). He wanted to avoid a separate (sub) woofer, and the dipole bass unit integrates better with the rest of the speaker when co-located.

You should take the time to read the link I posted. Directivity and power response are basically one in the same. If you want to talk about power, he missed that equally. The dipole mid is down 4.8dB relative to a 4Pi monopole. With a front tweeter only the tweeter in the crossover region isn't 4Pi but it is more than 2Pi so power response goes from -4.8dB to some where between 0 and -3dB for the tweeter. So there is some where between a 1.8 to 4.8 dB discontinuity in the power response in the crossover region. Probably around 3dB in reality, due to the tweeter bloom. . And again, if power response was the issue a dipole woofer was the wrong choice. The mids operate in a 4Pi where as the woofer in 2Pi. Thus there is a 3dB loss in power at the bottom. A monopole woofer would be a better power match to a dipole mid based on power response. That dipole bass sound better is a stretch as well. Good bass can be obtained with any type of woofer provided the woofers are set up and positioned correctly. It's more that dipoles act like multiple sources with different positions. A pair of speaker with dipole woofers basically acts a 4 low frequency sources. I pointed all this stuff out years ago Tweeter integration, Power matching, but as usual it was taken as SL bashing and no body paid attention.

At the MT transition the original incarnation handled the transition reasonably well from a power response perspective, with the tweeter's "bloom" to the sides balancing the loss of the dipole rear lobe.

No. Not really. See above.

That worked surprisingly well in many rooms, and I regard the single tweeter ORION as the most successful of the ORION variants overall because of that. It is still a great sounding (one of the best you can own) speaker, and all the "open baffle" benefits are still there as well.

I would agree that the rear tweeter can be detrimental to power response, but it is essential to having a reasonable balance in the reflected sound from the wall behind the speaker. I found the original Orion to sound dull. Now adding a rear tweeter helps that but SL never did that right ether. He just slapped it on. It needs to be attenuated to have to correct balance. Do you want to know why? Don't ask. I'm not telling.

What was not properly accounted for, and what became the impetus for the later (with rear tweeter) variants, and ultimately LX521, was the effect of the change of direction of first reflections on the perception of "localization" and "spaciousness" . . . what SL came to call the "Audio Scene".

Call it what you like, it was an obvious flaw from the get go and one I addressed with the original NaO, again only to be blown off because nobody bothered to listen, until SL decided it was necessary. Gees SL flip flops on this stuff more the the dummies in Washington. What a joke.

Even many of us who challenged the "not dipole all the way up" character of the design did not, to my recollection, articulate the "why" of that objection particularly well. Adding the rear tweeter to ORION only partially corrected the directionality of the reflected field problem, and it brought back the power response problem that the original ORION had avoided, and raised equalization issues that led to unending, and never completely successful, "fixes".

As I pointed out above, the original Orion never came close to having the power response correct. And adding the rear tweeter, which as I recall was not supposed to be attenuated, just made the power worse. Ultimately that brought in the HP shelf which is another joke. The correct fix with the rear tweeter is to keep the on axis response flat and provide the proper attenuation of the rear tweeter to get the spectral balance of the entire sound field balanced which is how I approached it in the original NaO. There were still power problems, but overall it was superior to the Orion.

Correcting that simply could not be accomplished in a 3-way design, and however soon and however badly SL wanted to change we can't know . . . what we do know (and he has acknowledged) is that the "legacy effect" delayed his switch to 4-way, and to some extent colored the design of LX521 (the hybrid crossover). My personal feeling is that it would have come much sooner had it not been for the "commercialization" of the ORION design and the contractual (and other) obligations that came with that.

Well we all know the 4-way design of NaO Note preceded SL's thinking with the LX521, and the reasoning for my taking that route was in the flaws of the Orion which I had pointed out, and my own failure to adequately correct them with the 3-way NaO II. That the Note demonstrated a 4-way design could accomplish the goal of more uniform power response/directivity probably gave SL the impetus to follow suite.

For the sake of completeness let be list the items I found lacking in the original Orion which have be addressed over the years.

1) Poor midrange/tweeter integration (power response), > in part due to the crossover being too low;

2) Lack of a rear tweeter, > spectral imbalance between front and rear radiation;

3) Lack of lower midrange impact, thin sounding,> incorrect midrange EQ;

4) Overly complex, brute force active crossover desig, > no circuit optimization.

It didn't take a lot of time to see these things. You just had to look at the design objectively, emphasis on design, not designer. You can spin them anyway you like. Make up what ever terminology you want. Over the last 10 years really only items 2 and 3 were addressed in the various updates to the Orion. That SL chose to use the same PCB for the LX521 rather than start with a truly clean sheet of paper demonstrates that it just another tweak. I just can not take SL seriously any more. Hell, I don't even take myself seriously anymore!

The performing artist (the "real" one) doesn't have a preference. He just wants the listeners to feel happy.
The product manager has an agenda: He wants the "selling" sound.
The man at the mixing desk does, what he is comfortable with, or what is his "hallmark".
So where should the "good" sound come from??? ;)

A combination of all their input and end goals. Simple as that.

Linkwitz Orions (and Behringer) beaten by IMP.... what!!?

Hi there !

Everybody is comparing the Behringer to the Orion.....
What about the loudspeaker that actually took first place in the challenge?
That crazy IMP!

Yup, discussing the IMP would be far more interesting.

Agreed ! So lets discuss it ! :D This 'IMP' is a fruitful ground to learn something new ;)

Here's some of Gary's comments on it:
On testing speakers - High-End-Audio - Audio

"http://www.pbase.com/eickmeier/image/712286

It is just a little particle board and Radio Shack speakers and
crossovers, but it satisfied me that the radiation pattern alone could
make it sound pretty good, in spite of the (intentionally) cheap
components. I'm also not convinced that I achieved my radiation pattern
that I was after, but I have no way to measure or pursue that.

Gary Eickmeier"

Remarkable notion is this:
"the radiation pattern alone could make it sound pretty good"

How is the IMP radiation pattern then ? Based on limited online information it appears to provide almost chaotic multi-lobed directional pattern at least in the midrange and treble freqs. It is certainly NOT a point source !

But that is very good actually !

An unarguable fact is generally people like sound which is more spacious than dry. IMP seems to generate highly favourable field with low correlation between direct and reflected sound. Naturalness of the sound field can be high in this case. This can lead to high listener preference.

I'm not surprised IMP won in a blind test. In a sighted test it would have lost. Power of suggestion.

I will add one thing about such test. Regardless of the tests, if the subjects are used to listen to convectional box speakers then even in a blind test it is probably likely that they will have a build in bias (subconscious) to box type speakers because they will recognize the sound as familiar. Since dipoles will typically sound very different it is likely that they would be discounted as they would stand out and under such tests human psychology suggest that this deviation for the generally more familiar sound of a box system (the norm) would trigger a "fault" response.

But John, your logic does not explain why IMP won ? Can we safely assume IMP is a school example of a conventional box speaker ? ;) And people are very familiar with the sound of it ? ;)

I really don't understand the results of this test because if the berries had won than there could be an argument for this type of speaker over the dipole but it didn't....the IMP won!
A speaker that most here wouldn't even give a passing glance to, and haven't so far on this thread.

So the panel of audiophiles chose a speaker that probably has serious lobing and phase issues along with a myriad of other "problems" if read on paper. Then the runner up is a studio monitor. In last place a dipole.

Sure IMP has serious lobing and phasing issues ! (see above) I think that's why it won :)

That's good, it's allways nice to see someone arguing with Floyd Toole and Sean Olive :D

Who is this Mr Eickmeier ?!? Based on his views, there are high chances I might like this gentleman.

- Elias

The listening test was termed as "The Linkwitz Challenge"

The purpose being to challenge the old and receive the new information ? I hope. Who wants to hang out with the second (or the third) if there is the winner ? ;)

Gary Eickmeier states:
On testing speakers - High-End-Audio - Audio
The answer, as I have stated many times in this and other forums, is to focus on the image model of the live sound vs the reproduction. An image
model is just a plan view of the speakers (or instruments) and all of
their reflections, or reflected images, in the surrounding walls. If the
image model of the reproduction soundfield can be made to come closer to
that of the live situation, it will sound more like it, and therefore
more real. To design speakers, therefore, you work backward from such an
image model to the radiation pattern required to accomplish it. This
makes the loudspeaker, in effect, an Image Model Projector, using the
whole room and its surfaces to create its sound.

I find this parallels very closely to my experiments and findings of using listening room as a sound projector:
Elias Pekonen Home Page - Stereophonic Sound from a Single Speaker

- Elias