What fullrange for OB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default What fullrange for OB?

Hi all,

I've just ordered 4 Alpha 15 and was thinking about using an fullrange above the Alpha15, but what would you choose? I read alot of threads on this and more diy-forums but can't decide anyway...

I've planed to use 2 Alpha 15 in an H-frame per side, use a passive crossover (12dB/oct) cutting at about 150-200Hz. So the fullrange need to atleast be used down to 250-300 Hz.

Visaton B200, TB W8-1808 and Fostex FE206EN are all good candidates, but how are they different in sound-style?

I may use them nude, in other words; without baffle.

Very grateful on any comments!

Best regards
Mikael H
Old 11th November 2010, 04:40 PM   #2
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLjud View Post
Hi all,

I've just ordered 4 Alpha 15 and was thinking about using an fullrange above the Alpha15, but what would you choose? I read alot of threads on this and more diy-forums but can't decide anyway...

I've planed to use 2 Alpha 15 in an H-frame per side, use a passive crossover (12dB/oct) cutting at about 150-200Hz. So the fullrange need to atleast be used down to 250-300 Hz.

Visaton B200, TB W8-1808 and Fostex FE206EN are all good candidates, but how are they different in sound-style?

Best regards
Mikael H

Without baffle requires a LOT of eq.. and a lot of spl/excursion.

At the very least you should consider a 3-way, but IMO your best solution is to have someone else do all the "heavy lifting" for you:

NaO Note Details
Old 11th November 2010, 05:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Without baffle requires a LOT of eq.. and a lot of spl/excursion.

At the very least you should consider a 3-way, but IMO your best solution is to have someone else do all the "heavy lifting" for you:

NaO Note Details
Yeah you probably right! But with a baffle and passive crossover, what would you choose for driver?
Old 11th November 2010, 05:13 PM   #4
jackies is offline jackies  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been doing quite a lot of reading, thinking of building something open baffle.
Many people use Visaton B200 with Alphas. Seems to be a reasonable choice.
For myself, however, I'm thinking it's be better to do an active 3 way...
Old 11th November 2010, 05:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

It leaning towards B200, but since I've never heard them or anyother fullrange, I thought I ask about fullrange drivers overall.

I not going active, was thinking about it a while but since I very happy with my McIntosh MA6500 I doesn't wanna sell it (to afford all active "boxes").
Old 11th November 2010, 06:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLjud View Post
Hi all,

Best regards
Mikael H
Hi

use them nude ? it will be not possible go down to 150Hz.

My choice 1. W8-1772 2. B200 3. FE206EN

Add a Horn tweeter (96dB) will be better

Old 11th November 2010, 06:23 PM   #7
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I've tried the Audio Nirvana standard 8s in an OB with a supporting alpha15. I've also tried the JX92s, Alpair 6.

My favorite is the AN8. Superb midrange and everything else is very good. Alpair 6 was very good too, but is limited in excursion capability. I don't like the JX92s.

You have chosen the correct crossover point... keeping it down at 150 Hz or so gives the vocals to the full range driver, where it will excel.

For reasonable SPL levels, go for at least a 6 inch driver and >90db/W. The larger fostexes, lowthers all meet this requirement. I would definitely recommend the AN8... lowthers on the cheap.
Old 11th November 2010, 06:56 PM   #8
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm planning to build a very similar project. Mine will incorporate Alpha 15A's with MarkAudio CHP-70 fullrange drivers (or maybe CHR-70). Crossover to be somewhere in the 300Hz range, depening on what sounds/measures best. However being a baffle-less hanging/swinging system, SPL output will be fairly low.
Old 11th November 2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbro View Post
I'm planning to build a very similar project. Mine will incorporate Alpha 15A's with MarkAudio CHP-70 fullrange drivers (or maybe CHR-70). Crossover to be somewhere in the 300Hz range, depening on what sounds/measures best. However being a baffle-less hanging/swinging system, SPL output will be fairly low.
I've been playing with 4" drivers on OB,
Compared to 8 inches drivers, the less dynamics and smaller soundstage just dont cut it in my fairly large room. I would stay 8" like RA7 suggest. The 3" fostex's beat out the 4" CHR70s in OB.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 11th November 2010, 07:48 PM   #10
jwmbro is offline jwmbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
I've been playing with 4" drivers on OB,
Compared to 8 inches drivers, the less dynamics and smaller soundstage just dont cut it in my fairly large room. I would stay 8" like RA7 suggest. The 3" fostex's beat out the 4" CHR70s in OB.
Surely you have a valid point. I however am far from planning to fill a large room with sound. So for my purposes 4" will do. So far I like the sound of the CHP's, but it's easy to change drivers should I want to. After all there is no baffle to modify

4" may not be enough for the OP, but I thought I'd mention my plans here, as they are rather similar.

Hide this!Advertise here!