What fullrange for OB? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 06:58 PM   #51
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bavarian Forest
You would have to do it on your own. The advantage of the Hawthorne would be that crossover is included.
And still cheaper with shipping. Shipping outside US is really expensive as I remember from an other forum, but their drivers are really cheap.

Last edited by el`Ol; 15th November 2010 at 07:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:07 AM   #52
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Örnsköldsvik
I'm thinking about order the Fostex FE166EN later today. It good T/S params for its purpose and has a low price.

Since its my first OB-project and I'll actually never heard an OB-speaker I thought it might good to keep to total cost low, and if I like the sound I can later try different fullrange drivers.

And also the FE166EN looks like it doesn't need so much crossover eq...

I'll post some photos when the speakers are done (or check my webpage regularly )
__________________
Website: mikaelhornqvist.wordpress.com
DIY-project: 2x BC 8BG51/speaker with Beyma CD10Fe+TD194. THAM15. Open baffle with 2x alpha15/side
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:15 AM   #53
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by el`Ol View Post
You would have to do it on your own. The advantage of the Hawthorne would be that crossover is included.
And still cheaper with shipping. Shipping outside US is really expensive as I remember from an other forum, but their drivers are really cheap.
The Hawthrone driver looks really great! But I calculated the cost quick and it's to expensive for me, I'll go low cost instead. I just don't have the budget for it at the moment... must prioritize some other stuff at the moment.

But if I like the OB sound I definitely going to check it out later!!


I really appreciate all the comments and help!!
__________________
Website: mikaelhornqvist.wordpress.com
DIY-project: 2x BC 8BG51/speaker with Beyma CD10Fe+TD194. THAM15. Open baffle with 2x alpha15/side
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:42 AM   #54
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by oLjud View Post
I'm thinking about order the Fostex FE166EN later today. It good T/S params for its purpose and has a low price.

Since its my first OB-project and I'll actually never heard an OB-speaker I thought it might good to keep to total cost low, and if I like the sound I can later try different fullrange drivers.

And also the FE166EN looks like it doesn't need so much crossover eq...

I'll post some photos when the speakers are done (or check my webpage regularly )
Keep the acoustic crossover low around 200 Hz. This means that you need to design the 12 dB/octave electrical crossover network taking into account the dipole peak and the H frame first resonance. I think your plan is good and look forward to your future reports and seeing pictures.

Good luck,

Martin
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 02:24 PM   #55
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Keep the acoustic crossover low around 200 Hz. This means that you need to design the 12 dB/octave electrical crossover network taking into account the dipole peak and the H frame first resonance. I think your plan is good and look forward to your future reports and seeing pictures.

Good luck,

Martin
I'll thinking about going something like you did with the fe103 and alpha15, should work pretty well in this setup too.

Hopefully I get some time this weekend to start building the speaker, photos will be shared here and I'm hoping to get some inputs on them.
__________________
Website: mikaelhornqvist.wordpress.com
DIY-project: 2x BC 8BG51/speaker with Beyma CD10Fe+TD194. THAM15. Open baffle with 2x alpha15/side
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 03:13 PM   #56
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Örnsköldsvik
Just ordered Fostex FE166EN, hopefully the shipping doesn't take so long. My Alpha 15 will probably arrive home this Wednesday...

To bad I study for a math test too, all my mindpower will most likely go to the speakers :P
__________________
Website: mikaelhornqvist.wordpress.com
DIY-project: 2x BC 8BG51/speaker with Beyma CD10Fe+TD194. THAM15. Open baffle with 2x alpha15/side
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OB fullrange plus tapped horn? Racket Scientist Full Range 3 24th September 2010 04:27 AM
8" and smaller fullrange vs 12" and up fullrange in OB c3conv Full Range 11 24th August 2010 05:59 AM
OB fullrange driver to use with JBL LE14A vaughn Full Range 3 9th June 2009 01:20 AM
Cheap Philips fullrange on OB Calamaro Full Range 10 16th October 2008 03:50 PM
fullrange for OB? nicoch58 Full Range 1 11th February 2008 07:36 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2