What fullrange for OB? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2010, 06:58 PM   #51
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

You would have to do it on your own. The advantage of the Hawthorne would be that crossover is included.
And still cheaper with shipping. Shipping outside US is really expensive as I remember from an other forum, but their drivers are really cheap.

Last edited by el`Ol; 15th November 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 16th November 2010, 10:07 AM   #52
oLjud is offline oLjud  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking about order the Fostex FE166EN later today. It good T/S params for its purpose and has a low price.

Since its my first OB-project and I'll actually never heard an OB-speaker I thought it might good to keep to total cost low, and if I like the sound I can later try different fullrange drivers.

And also the FE166EN looks like it doesn't need so much crossover eq...

I'll post some photos when the speakers are done (or check my webpage regularly )
Old 16th November 2010, 10:15 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el`Ol View Post
You would have to do it on your own. The advantage of the Hawthorne would be that crossover is included.
And still cheaper with shipping. Shipping outside US is really expensive as I remember from an other forum, but their drivers are really cheap.
The Hawthrone driver looks really great! But I calculated the cost quick and it's to expensive for me, I'll go low cost instead. I just don't have the budget for it at the moment... must prioritize some other stuff at the moment.

But if I like the OB sound I definitely going to check it out later!!

I really appreciate all the comments and help!!
Old 16th November 2010, 10:42 AM   #54
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLjud View Post
I'm thinking about order the Fostex FE166EN later today. It good T/S params for its purpose and has a low price.

Since its my first OB-project and I'll actually never heard an OB-speaker I thought it might good to keep to total cost low, and if I like the sound I can later try different fullrange drivers.

And also the FE166EN looks like it doesn't need so much crossover eq...

I'll post some photos when the speakers are done (or check my webpage regularly )
Keep the acoustic crossover low around 200 Hz. This means that you need to design the 12 dB/octave electrical crossover network taking into account the dipole peak and the H frame first resonance. I think your plan is good and look forward to your future reports and seeing pictures.

Good luck,

Martin
Old 16th November 2010, 02:24 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Keep the acoustic crossover low around 200 Hz. This means that you need to design the 12 dB/octave electrical crossover network taking into account the dipole peak and the H frame first resonance. I think your plan is good and look forward to your future reports and seeing pictures.

Good luck,

Martin
I'll thinking about going something like you did with the fe103 and alpha15, should work pretty well in this setup too.

Hopefully I get some time this weekend to start building the speaker, photos will be shared here and I'm hoping to get some inputs on them.
Old 17th November 2010, 03:13 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Just ordered Fostex FE166EN, hopefully the shipping doesn't take so long. My Alpha 15 will probably arrive home this Wednesday...

To bad I study for a math test too, all my mindpower will most likely go to the speakers :P

Hide this!Advertise here!