What fullrange for OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
have such an easy and full presentation, extremly dynamic, very smooth from top to bottom... in smoothness across the spectrum

The 1st 2 i agree with. The woofer seens to be running in breakup mode from quite low, and is not extended eniff to reach up to the tweeter. Certainly not smooth with all those resonances. Image/soundstage is bigger than life.

Experience with a couple of very well broken in pairs, and a set of EnABLed ones (which i found less objectionable).

During one listening session is was a big relief when we switched to a set of Fonkens (mind you an active helper needed to get near the same dynamics)

dave

The thing about Silver Iris,they have such an
easy and full presentation,extremly dynamic,
very smooth from top to bottom after about 60 hrs of breakin,
I have tried a bunch of full range drivers
out there many Fostex , Hemp acoustic,Audio nirvana,
a few of the Mark Audio, B200,
My opinion none of these even come to silver iris
in smoothness across the spectrum, Silver Iris
have great mids,buy a pair and judge for yourself.
on Open baffle the other speakers mentioned here
sound toy like in comparrison.
you are going down the same road I did,
I am just trying to save you some time and money.
I wish I would have discovered the Silver Iris before
I went thru all the drivers and enclosures I did.
to sum it up. I am very content with Silver iris
and I am finally finished chasing my tail,and spending money.
and that makes my wife very happy indeed.

Well it would be easy just to by and try, but when I on small budget I really need to think thru the speakers. But I very glad that you share your conclusions! Thats why I started this thread :) I'll check the driver better in short!

Hi Martin

I have always used a seperate plate amp with built
in crossover to drive 2 Eminence Alpha 15a.
much easier than designing a passive croosover,
also more punch and power.
although I did try some of your OB designs
and they performed quite well indeed.

I had plans to use plate amp for the Alphas, but with my budget I wasn't possible to go thru with... I may go plate amp in the future but not for starters.

Last edited:
A shipping-inclusive cheaper driver in Europe will be this:
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX255.PDF
Maybe you are the one who will try whether it can be used without a lowpass for the woofer section.
With low crossover it will probably need a notch (not easy).
And don't be afraid of big baffles. The center part can be massive and the wings can be made of Ceiba bending plywood (available up to 11mm).

Not really... You will find lots of pics and advices on Hawthorne's forum... About 65x50x20cm (H;W;D)... (Hawthorne Audio • View topic - Introduction to the Art and Science of OB speaker building)
cordialement
j.
If I use 2 Alpha 15 plus an SI the speakers will become rather big how ever I make it... looked thru the thread and there are some really cool and interesting projects/speakers. I will probably not go SI this time, buy maybe some other time!

A shipping-inclusive cheaper driver in Europe will be this:
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX255.PDF
Maybe you are the one who will try whether it can be used without a lowpass for the woofer section.
With low crossover it will probably need a notch (not easy).
And don't be afraid of big baffles. The center part can be massive and the wings can be made of Ceiba bending plywood (available up to 11mm).

Since I never come across an coax.driver I must ask: Is the crossover between the woofer and the tweeter included or must I figure out the crossover myself?

You would have to do it on your own. The advantage of the Hawthorne would be that crossover is included.
And still cheaper with shipping. Shipping outside US is really expensive as I remember from an other forum, but their drivers are really cheap.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about order the Fostex FE166EN later today. It good T/S params for its purpose and has a low price.

Since its my first OB-project and I'll actually never heard an OB-speaker I thought it might good to keep to total cost low, and if I like the sound I can later try different fullrange drivers.

And also the FE166EN looks like it doesn't need so much crossover eq...

I'll post some photos when the speakers are done (or check my webpage regularly :) )

You would have to do it on your own. The advantage of the Hawthorne would be that crossover is included.
And still cheaper with shipping. Shipping outside US is really expensive as I remember from an other forum, but their drivers are really cheap.

The Hawthrone driver looks really great! But I calculated the cost quick and it's to expensive for me, I'll go low cost instead. I just don't have the budget for it at the moment... must prioritize some other stuff at the moment.

But if I like the OB sound I definitely going to check it out later!!

I really appreciate all the comments and help!!

I'm thinking about order the Fostex FE166EN later today. It good T/S params for its purpose and has a low price.

Since its my first OB-project and I'll actually never heard an OB-speaker I thought it might good to keep to total cost low, and if I like the sound I can later try different fullrange drivers.

And also the FE166EN looks like it doesn't need so much crossover eq...

I'll post some photos when the speakers are done (or check my webpage regularly :) )

Keep the acoustic crossover low around 200 Hz. This means that you need to design the 12 dB/octave electrical crossover network taking into account the dipole peak and the H frame first resonance. I think your plan is good and look forward to your future reports and seeing pictures.

Good luck,

Martin

Keep the acoustic crossover low around 200 Hz. This means that you need to design the 12 dB/octave electrical crossover network taking into account the dipole peak and the H frame first resonance. I think your plan is good and look forward to your future reports and seeing pictures.

Good luck,

Martin

I'll thinking about going something like you did with the fe103 and alpha15, should work pretty well in this setup too.

Hopefully I get some time this weekend to start building the speaker, photos will be shared here and I'm hoping to get some inputs on them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.