port length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
7V said:

How big should the fish be and should the water just be in the port or does the bottom of the enclosure need to be filled as well?

I think what SY is suggesting is a cunning variable damping system, the water filled box providing a stiff coupling system to the driver, with the fish causing variable damping due to two factors. Their bodies will act to break up large scale standing waves, (depending on the size/age of the fish), and the eddies in the water caused by their movement providing micro diffraction to reduce high frequency resonances.

By means of implanted electrodes in the fish, you can actually use them to provide motive force to the cones each time you administer a shock. Or you can use the shock/wiggle technique, carefully phased, to provide damping. PETA might have a problem with this, though.

Then again, water dampens everything.

Sorry, I'll behave now.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
SY said:
Hmmmm, water-filled enclosure.... 'Scuse me, gotta call my patent attorney.

pinkmouse said:

I think what SY is suggesting is a cunning variable damping system, the water filled box providing a stiff coupling system to the driver, with the fish causing variable damping due to two factors. Their bodies will act to break up large scale standing waves, (depending on the size/age of the fish), and the eddies in the water caused by their movement providing micro diffraction to reduce high frequency resonances.

SY said:
By means of implanted electrodes in the fish, you can actually use them to provide motive force to the cones each time you administer a shock. Or you can use the shock/wiggle technique, carefully phased, to provide damping. PETA might have a problem with this, though.

Then again, water dampens everything.

Sorry, I'll behave now.
BTW Dave, for the carpets sake, you might want to put the port on the top of the box.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.