Klipsch Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Bill, I can only make some useful suppositions bases on how the enclosure they are used in is built. Here goes.

The enclosure in which they are used is a center channel enclosure where they are hooked up together. First, I would get a multimeter-you can borrow one if you don't have one already-and measure the voice coils to see if these are 4 ohm or 16 ohm speakers. Remember, the DC resistance of a speaker is about 25% less than the actual impedance-it just works out that way.

They are in a box rated 95 dB-so they are sensitive. Keep that in mind for your project, whatever it is.

Please refer to the following website for their commercial enclosure:
http://www.elegantaudiovideo.com/klpsc1.htm

The outside dimensions are 6.5" x 18" x 7.5". Assuming 5/8" MDF for such a small box, that comes to an inside volume of about 550 cubic inces. However, the back appears to be only 2/3 the height of the front. Taking that factor into account, the internal volume of the Klipsch center channel should be about 485 cu in.

The horn tweeter appears somewhat large, so we knock 10% off the internal volume, as an estimate, and we get the two 5.25" woofers in a cabinet of 435 cu in together.

The enclosure is rated by Klipsch as going down to 60 Hz, ± 3 dB, so we can assume that each driver, if put into a sealed box of 217 cu in, (0.125 cu ft), will go down that far. We can safely assume that each driver can go as high as the crossover frequency of 2200 Hz as well. Maybe higher-you would have to measure for that.

If you want to go ported, you can triple the box size and try tuning to 40 Hz, and you have a good chance to come out all right. This is a guess on my part, but it probably won't be off by much. Triple the box size will be 651 cu in. per woofer, with a 2" diameter port 12.25 in long. You might have to put an elbow in the pipe you use for a port.

As these are from a surplus store, I assume you don't have super high hi fideltiy hopes for this system, but are just looking for some guidelines for a nice project built along reasonable principles. If this is for a really fancy project, you should measure your woofer's Thiele-Small parameters, if that means anything to you.

If you plan to add a tweeter to these, make sure you get a sensitive one. These tweeters are available. Remember, these woofers are rated 95 dB-very sensitive.

I can re-do all this in Metric, if anyone wants to do it that way.

If you have any more questions, let me know. Good luck! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.