Advent 5002 refoam pics and how much power can my tweeter handle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I finished refoaming my speakers about 3 1/2 months back and have been very happy with them especially after paying $10 at a garage sale. I got the foam from GordonW and it is perfect. Compared to my dad's paradigm studio references I would describe them as sounding full and warm with tight bass versus the paradigms being analytical with perhaps more detail and somewhat bloated mid bass but also deeper bass. I am interested in messing around with digital room correction to help increase their sound quality even more. I was reading a guide I found. It stated this:
A.
Find out your tweeter’s continuous power handling rating. It can be usually found at your speaker’s website, speaker booklet, etc.
If the rating value is not somewhere in between 1-20 Watts (for example, if it’s 50W, or more), then this is probably not the true rating value we're looking for. In this case, it is better to assume that we do not know the true continuous power handling rating of the tweeter, and because of this it will be safer to play the log sine sweep, using 1Watt, max,
Important – if you do not know your tweeter’s continuous power handling rating, going over 1 Watt with the sine sweep, can destroy the tweeter, so please, think twice if you want to take this risk.
In case the tweeter’s rating value you found, DOES give the impression to be the right one, you should still use only HALF of this rating, just to be on the safe side.
I have goggled extensively trying to find the power rating for the advent 5002 tweeters but had no luck so I was wondering if anyone else might know.

A 35 year old design won't have a website to check out and back then nobody gave a hoot about power handling as there wasn't much power to handle. Having toasted more than my share of Advent drivers back in the '70s I would say 1 Watt into the tweeter is perhaps a bit optimistic. The woofer has a copper voice coil form and can do somewhat better. Just a guess at 10-15 Watts into the woofer but I'm talking long term like an hour and it will be quite uncomfortably warm. To get more power handling some of us run 2 pairs of Advents (QuAdvents?) which is quite an improvement. For a while I ran triples.

BTW nice job on the foam. I've done some that are indistinguishable from the originals. Did you replace the dustcaps?

Last edited:
I didn't replace the dust caps. GordonW said the voice coils had enough clearance that you shouldn't need to. I don't think there is any scraping. I was trying to see how loud I could make the tweeter go with a sine sweep though and one speaker did make a funny noise at a certain frequency so maybe it is. It sounded more like the crossover needs to be recapped than scraping. When I blew out the old foam I heard what real scraping sounds like.

I finished refoaming my speakers about 3 1/2 months back and have been very happy with them especially after paying $10 at a garage sale...I am interested in messing around with digital room correction to help increase their sound quality even more...

You realize that sounds kind of nuts? ;)

But good luck, ya gotta be nuts to pursue this hobby. :D

As for the tweeters, can you look and see how big their voice coil is?

Most any tweeter should be good for a quick 1-watt sweep. Even 1W continuous, I would think, but I won't naysay the fellow who has blown some up.

But WHY are you asking about the power handling? That will affect our answers a lot.

A general power handling rule is: if you turn it down when it sounds bad, you'll probably never fry anything. If you always crank it until the volume knob snaps off, you'll blow everything up. Amplifier power doesn't really matter so much.

Just a suggestion after living with several sets of these for many years. They get a little 'tubby' when sitting directly on the floor. By tubby I mean a mid bass hump around 150Hz. This reduces nicely when putting them on stands about 10" high. With a Technics parametric equalizer on the double Advents system I run a couple dB boost at 20 Hz and 15KHz, 2-3 dB cut at 180 Hz and a dB cut at 1 KHz. The difference between EQ active and bypassed is very modest but pleasing to me. The speakers are on 10" stands and I still cut it a bit more. Tweeter switch set to 'extended'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.