Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Isobarik cheapie Qs
Isobarik cheapie Qs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2003, 05:41 PM   #1
mikee12345 is offline mikee12345  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Isobarik cheapie Qs

i know Isobarik is hardly worth it,after reading winisds old help files,and also diysubwoofers , etc..

heres the response, they are cheapies for sure,and only work in ported box isobarik,sealed box single woofer is pretty crap.

1 -how small must the enclosure between the 2 woofers be??
obviously the bigger,the more volume it takes up,of the box total.

2 which is better-clamshell,or tunnel

the sealed box resonates really high obviously,the Fs is 45hz :P not very useful.

he can power one channel onto each speaker. (of an amazing 'reactor car audio amp' which is probably 60watt rms clean,not 300 like it says lol.(its too cheap)

Thanks!!

green ported isobarik.yellow sealed.
Attached Images
File Type: gif matessub.gif (30.8 KB, 180 views)
Old 13th July 2003, 02:07 AM   #2
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Isobarik cheapie Qs
Default Re: Isobarik cheapie Qs

Besides the non-tangible benefits that not many talk about, the biggest advantage of an isobarik is that it halves the Vas, which means for the same bass response you can have a cab 1/2 as big (+ coupling chamber).

With clamshell you have the benefit of the smallest possible coupling enclosure (good), but have to live with the noise from the back of the driver. If the driver is non-vented & you are only using them for low frequancies, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

dave
Old 13th July 2003, 05:49 PM   #3
toenail is offline toenail  United States
diyAudio Member

1)The smaller the "enclosure" between the drivers the better.

2) Clamshell- see above

I'm currently using a pair of 12's in a clamshell ported configuration for my HT sub. I modeled it with winISD and am very happy with the results. Not the best for music though, F3 @22hz.

If box size is no object then the benefit of clamshell configuration becomes less important, but it is still easier to construct. In my case it helped me get two 12's into a 2.5 cubic ft ported box. I simply mounted one driver to the baffle as usual, then screwed down the other on top of it, face first. This left close to 3/4" between surrounds, separated by the pressed paper trim ring present on all JL Audio woofers. This is well beyond the normal excusion range for my use. I then sealed the two woofers together with black electrical tape.
Old 14th July 2003, 02:47 AM   #4
mikee12345 is offline mikee12345  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Besides the non-tangible benefits that not many talk about, the biggest advantage of an isobarik is that it halves the Vas, which means for the same bass response you can have a cab 1/2 as big (+ coupling chamber).
yeap i noticed it makes it possible for an okish response

it will be used for 70hz and under,i dont know if the driver is ported,do you mean pole peice vent/?
its a real cheapie driver:P its gona make noise anyway

i think they have a decent gasket on the front of the woofer,if so i can just mount them clamshell,easily,il ask my mate for a look at them.

Old 14th July 2003, 03:01 AM   #5
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Isobarik cheapie Qs
Quote:
Originally posted by mikee12345
do you mean pole peice vent/?
Yep... if it is, and you mount them clamshell, a wad of ductseal would fix that.

dave

Isobarik cheapie QsHide this!Advertise here!