Help to build Hi-Sensitive Hi-Power Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a chance to audition a friend's Cornwall pair and really liked sound of them. I have bunch of amps ranging from 10w tube to 400w SS and liked idea of having a big sensitive speaker that can handle all of my amps up to ear bleeding level. My current passion is amp (ss and tube) building and woodworking. I can simply buy a pair of Cornwalls from Klipsch but I really enjoy process of building then owning. I am some what new to speaker building: I built some basic 2 ways(4 pairs) with 12db X-over some time ago and trashed all of them ( My amps were too much for them to handle..ha ha..)

I have some questions to Gurus who built Cornwalls
1) What kind of drivers ( woofers, Mid, tweets), where can I get them
2) How original enclosure were designed, (Folded hon?, Port? etc..)
3) X-over schematics or diagrams.
4) Most of all, is it possible to build replica of Cornwall?
5) Would you have other suggestions than Cornwall?

Please point me to right direction to build large sensitive speakers.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

This might be of some help. I say might be - some people think that there are better ways to spend your time and $$$$ than on the Cornwalls. YMMV - and what others think is simply that.

If you are determined to go down the Cornwall path just bang in Cornwall plans into your search engine - there is a lot of info out there.

Good luck with your project!!! :cheers:

<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

This might be of some help. I say might be - some people think that there are better ways to spend your time and $$$$ than on the Cornwalls. YMMV - and what others think is simply that.

If you are determined to go down the Cornwall path just bang in Cornwall plans into your search engine - there is a lot of info out there.

Good luck with your project!!! :cheers:

Cornwalls are good HE speakers, but the "Econowave" speakers (several versions) are said to be excellent as well. The E-waves range from fairly inexpensive on up and everyone seems to like them. Another would be the various Pi Speaker kits which are certainly HE and well regarded.

The Planet 10 site has a lot of nice speaker plans available for the fullrange crowd and I've heard a lot of them. Very nice and they are capable of excellent sound as well. They're not quite as efficient as the above, but can still be used with many excellent, but smaller output amplifiers.

There's no earthly reason not to have excellent HE speakers with all these plans available!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Since you already got a number of amps I'd seriously consider an active design.
I find active xovers a lot easier to get right, do not waste any amp power and depending on type make time and phase alignment a breeze.

Or you could just use it as an excuse (to yourself and your better half if you got one) to build more amps. ;-)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
A simple recipe: Horn tweeter plus dual 15" mid/woofers.... 100 dB plus sensitivity, and 130 dB plus max SPL is not that hard to achieve this way.

I did make a pair using Beyma TPL150H AMT tweeter and two Beyma 15P80nd woofers. Sounded really good, sensitivity around 102 dB, and could easily handle 1000W without a sweat.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply

Thank you very much to all for the replies.

A simple recipe: Horn tweeter plus dual 15" mid/woofers.... 100 dB plus sensitivity, and 130 dB plus max SPL is not that hard to achieve this way.

I did make a pair using Beyma TPL150H AMT tweeter and two Beyma 15P80nd woofers. Sounded really good, sensitivity around 102 dB, and could easily handle 1000W without a sweat.
Is this double 15" 3way design?
Can you tell me more about design and components?

Thanks

Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com

Put 15s in your subs, not mid/highs, though that can be made to work, also.

Before building Cornwalls, ask why CornScalas are considered to be better.

There is inconsistency in your thinking -- no high-efficiency design is going to require 400W to all but deafen the listener. Use that kind of power for subs.... :yes:
I have 2 teenagers with lots of so called "Music" on my media server so anything less than Deafening to them is a "Bad Amp".

I am running out of room in my "play room"(aka Basement) because of stacks of the amps and wires and power cables and 2 workshops (electronic and woodworking). I want to have a pair that I can use for my low power tube amps and room heater/class A's as well as some "frankensteined" class AB with 200v rails. I do not have much experience with many speakers. ( Few Boses n Cerwin vega from my youth( don't flame me), Walsh2.. I want to junk all Boses(4 Prs) and Cerwin vega ) if I can have a pair of main speakers with high sensitivity and High power to show off my amps to my "classical" friends and my 2 teenagers. So I can have more room for the future collections of amps.

I have been reading your posts in Part Express site about Econowave following Member Terry O's post. Thank you for the kind sharing of your knowledge.

Regards

Can I do Econowave mod on Cerwin Vega VS120 ( 12" woofer)

I have Cerwin vega which I am using as testing speaker for my amps. As you know it has boomy bass with party personality. It is 3way design but I do not know cross over frequencies yet. I can probably Google it or open the speaker to find out cross over network. At this moment I am putting finishing touch on my amp project. ASA I am done with amp, I will dissect CV's.
Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.