definitive technology

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi i have just aquirerd a pair of Definitive technology bp8 dipoles. have just had a look at the crossovers and im sure they could be tweaked or replaced. apart from changing the bipolar electrolytic on the tweeter to a film type i dont want to do anything else untill i get a little direction as i have read that there could be components to deal with 200hz cancelation ???
Any help or pointers most greatfully recived.
Regards Ian

dont want to do anything else untill i get a little direction as i have read that there could be components to deal with 200hz cancelation ???
No components except loudspeakers and their positioning is responsible
of that . It is the distance from the walls and from the floor ,and from each other ,that determines the frequencies were dips and summing in(ter)ferences
happen . Negative interference (cancellation) happens when the direct wave and the reflected one (meet together) are at half of the wavelength .Dip happens at a frequency double the difference of "travel" path .

A question mark

No components except loudspeakers and their positioning is responsible
of that . It is the distance from the walls and from the floor ,and from each other ,that determines the frequencies were dips and summing in(ter)ferences
happen . Negative interference (cancellation) happens when the direct wave and the reflected one (meet together) are at half of the wavelength .Dip happens at a frequency double the difference of "travel" path .
Did you not notice the question mark on the end ???????. It was a question and you have given a good answer and imformation now i can research and learn. what i need to know Many Thanks
Regards Ian Ps i am talking about Dipole speaker cabinets. are you ??

Last edited:
Did you not notice the question mark on the end ???????. It was a question and you have given a good answer and imformation now i can research and learn. what i need to know Many Thanks
Regards Ian Ps i am talking about Dipole speaker cabinets. are you ??

No, they're bipoles. While dipoles and bipoles both obviously share fore and aft radiation, the in-phase bipole has very different polar response from the out-of-phase dipole.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As Drew points out, the Definitives are bipoles.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Definitive's BiPolar technology radiates sound from the front and the back of the speaker for more life-like sound and spacious imaging for every listener in the room!

Upgrading from bipolar caps to poly caps is usually a step forward.

And you'll need to derive a circuit diagram from the XO.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.