Widget dipole

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

What would be the radiation pattern of a "widget dipole" as depicted in my sketch and which woulld be it's axis of symmetry?

What I need: I have an existing "Y" or "A" frame with a woofer. I want to augment it with a second woofe on one of the wings for 2 reasons:
- get more bass (admittedly, probably it will not double because of how the outputs of the 2 woofers in the frame would combine)
- get an additional bass source whose direction of radiation is different than the first, to make the response more uniform in my current room.

I expect a sort of cardioid. Perhaps having the 2 woofers at 90 degrees rather than >90 degrees would be better?

What do you think ?

Attachments

• WidgetBaffle.jpg
    WidgetBaffle.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 173
Nobody tried a folded baffle like this ?

I know of the RAAL Eternitý, which uses woofers on 5 sides of a cube, the 6th being open - but that's a symmetrical arrangement and should give you a sort of dipole radiation that is horrizontally symmetrical (but the front lobe should wider)

Any software you know that can simulate this ?

Hello,

i expect the radiation axis to be oriented diagonally
from upper left to lower right in the picture.

It will be a cardioid. Cardioid shape will probably
be more pronounced towards upper bass.

Concerning "uniformity" in the room, please
note that typically below 200Hz in most
rooms sound pressure at a certain listening
position depends on excitation of room
modes.

To get higher efficiency a larger dipole path length
would be the way to go ...

Kind Regards

Thanks LineArray!

Concerning "uniformity" in the room, please
note that typically below 200Hz in most
rooms sound pressure at a certain listening
position depends on excitation of room
modes.

It is precisely because the current 1-woofer dipole causes a deep suckout on a mode around 70 Hz that I wanted to "fill in" - kind of the Geddes multiple subs approach, but with dipoles.

But I realize that I need separate dipoles for that:it was a bit naive to consider the 2 woofers in a folded baffle as independent dipoles. The widget configuration might or might not be better, depending on how it fits the modes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.