Which stuffing material to increase "perceived" enlosure size? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2002, 10:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which stuffing material to increase "perceived" enlosure size?

Hello,

Which stuffing material will, effectively, increase the size of an enlosure the most? Will regular polyester pillow stuffing work fine (increase about 5 - 10%)?
Any measurements, or refrences to them would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,

Dave
Old 6th January 2002, 11:42 AM   #2
subwo1 is offline subwo1  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave, that is what I use and recommend. It is safe, and easy to use. I use it not just for increasing the low end, but also to damp standing waves. The ideal speaker for sound quality would absorb all back radiation, so may as well try to do that.
Old 6th January 2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

fibre stuffing will give you a small increase in perceived box volume and will damp a reasonable amount of the back waves produced by the speaker.... just a few things to be careful of, keep the stuffing well away from the back on the driver assembly and if the box is ported keep the stuffing out of the port allowing a clear passage between the rear of the driver and the port. If the box is currently void of any stuffing you should staple stuffing to the top, bottom, rear and one side on the enclosure.
Old 6th January 2002, 03:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

They make products--more precisely, they <i>market</i> products--specifically for stuffing cabinets. I know Parts Express has a version which I believe they call Acousti-stuff or some such term. They (naturally) claim that it's miles better than ordinary polyester. Maybe, maybe not. For all I know, it's the same material. Just be aware that it's out there.
I use ordinary polyester fiberfill here at Chez Bear.
Now, I have seen several tests that indicate that long-fiber wool is superior to polyester. It's somewhat more common in Britain than it is here. Due to the weight, some people rig ways to keep it from settling over time.

Grey
Old 6th January 2002, 05:27 PM   #5
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Also, when stuffing, be careful not to overstuff. I find that this results in a muddy, congested sound. Personally, I get better results when the enclosure is only lightly stuffed.

Hide this!Advertise here!