Diffraction/Rounded Baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vikash said:
I want to incorporate this lamination method into my design but was wandering why the enclosures shown have stopped short of going for a full rounded baffle - which would have helped further reduce diffraction effects. Or is this incorrect?

Personally, I went as far as I could with the rounding. Just couldn't get round the fact that you need a flat surface to mount the drive-units to.

Other than that, you have to juggle height, depth, width and wall thickness to end up with the right volume.

Good luck with your Translams, Vikash. Post us any drawings or photos when you have them.

Steve

Hello Steve,

...need a flat surface to mount the drive-units

Just thought i'd bounce an idea of you...

The driver would only be flush on part of the baffle. Don't know if i'm gaining something or losing something. Certainly looks cool :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 503
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The downside of course are the sharp edges in front of the driver.

I guess I would have a short cylinder extending out to the frontmost edge of the curved baffle so the top and bottom of the cylinder would extend the same as the baffle but the sides would be a couple of inches long. Then mount the driver in the end of the cylinder. Inside and outside eggs seem the way to go....

the sharp edges in front of the driver won't be *much* of a problem if the driver is crossed over fairly low

It will be a problem overall in that case. I mean the tweeter will be mounted in a similar cutout.

The enclosure image was a bit exaggerated. The amount of curve would probably be kept to a minimum as it approaches the centre of the drivers, and so the edges won't be as pronounced.

I like the idea of chamfering. (Thanks for the image to pre-empt me asking what that is ;)) That might work well with the same exaggerated curve. Chamfering seems to be doing the same thing for diffraction but carved in the opposite direction. Any comments?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 368
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.