Searching for mid goes on. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 11:21 PM   #1
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member
 
K-amps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
Default Searching for mid goes on.

I thought I was good with the ZA14, then I redesigned the Bass units, ...

ok let me start from the beginning...

Had Vifa P13's for a while, nice mids but lacked detail, after a lot of searching and talking guys on the forum, ended with Zaph's ZA14's... very good mids, however since I redesigned the Bass units (had 4 low eff TB 740's), now have dual 15 inchers. An AV15 for sub duty complemented by a JBL 2035HPL for upper bass. Combined they dwarf the ZA14's output by about 3-4db's despite padding down the 2035hpl...

So now I need a mid that's as good as (or better) than the ZA14, is very detailed; and has eff of about 92-94db/w. I am willing to move up to a 6.5" driver for this.

The mids would cover the 350Hz to the 3.5kHz range and be below $300 a pair.

(The HF's are 3 vifa XT25's as an FYI)...


I am thinking about the following 6.5's: If there are other mids I should consider, please let me know.

Eighteensound 6ND430's - I like the FR on these.
PHL's - Dont know where to begin...
B&C 6NDL44 - Slightly lower spl, but nice FR
B&C 6PEV13 - high spl , ok FR, no idea how it sounds

Thanks!

Last edited by K-amps; 17th October 2010 at 11:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 12:36 AM   #2
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: US
Acoustic Elegance • View topic - TD6M - the Lambda Series Little Brother
Dayton PK165-8
B&C 6MD38-8
Audax PR170M0
Max Fidelity PR65NEO
__________________
perspective is everything

Last edited by ScottG; 18th October 2010 at 12:44 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 01:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Inductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cascais
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-amps View Post
I thought I was good with the ZA14, then I redesigned the Bass units, ...

ok let me start from the beginning...

Had Vifa P13's for a while, nice mids but lacked detail, after a lot of searching and talking guys on the forum, ended with Zaph's ZA14's... very good mids, however since I redesigned the Bass units (had 4 low eff TB 740's), now have dual 15 inchers. An AV15 for sub duty complemented by a JBL 2035HPL for upper bass. Combined they dwarf the ZA14's output by about 3-4db's despite padding down the 2035hpl...

So now I need a mid that's as good as (or better) than the ZA14, is very detailed; and has eff of about 92-94db/w. I am willing to move up to a 6.5" driver for this.

The mids would cover the 350Hz to the 3.5kHz range and be below $300 a pair.

(The HF's are 3 vifa XT25's as an FYI)...


I am thinking about the following 6.5's: If there are other mids I should consider, please let me know.

Eighteensound 6ND430's - I like the FR on these.
PHL's - Dont know where to begin...
B&C 6NDL44 - Slightly lower spl, but nice FR
B&C 6PEV13 - high spl , ok FR, no idea how it sounds

Thanks!
Begin here (phlaudio 2460)
FS: PHL 2460 8" mid-bass drivers
For Europe in euro/€: MHP (la Maison du Haut-Parleur) : concepteur français de kits d'enceintes pour la HI-FI et le Home Cinéma...
Another "crazy" mid, Eminence Alphalite 6A 6" Neo.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...80&ctab=2#Tabs
__________________
NEXT-proaudio Portugal

Last edited by Inductor; 18th October 2010 at 01:46 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 02:41 AM   #4
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member
 
K-amps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
I don't know about going to a 8" mid... The Eminence Alphalite 6A looks very interesting, nice FR and good price... anyone hear them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 05:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Active crossover should accomplish the matching you want. Look at Behringer CX2310.

If you don't want to do that, the ear is more sensitive to bad midrange than bad midbass, ditch the JBL and find something that matches the ZA14 better.
__________________
~Brandon
DriverVault Soma Sonus Old Driver Tests
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 11:29 AM   #6
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member
 
K-amps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Active crossover should accomplish the matching you want. Look at Behringer CX2310.

If you don't want to do that, the ear is more sensitive to bad midrange than bad midbass, ditch the JBL and find something that matches the ZA14 better.
Don't want to do that, the kick drums on the JBL are very satisfying.

Has no one heard the 18sound 6ND430's ? on Paper they seem to be the real deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 11:32 AM   #7
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member
 
K-amps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
Active crossover should accomplish the matching you want. Look at Behringer CX2310.

If you don't want to do that, the ear is more sensitive to bad midrange than bad midbass, ditch the JBL and find something that matches the ZA14 better.
Good idea but, I already have a CX3400 , but the XLR to RCA conversion adds some hiss... Also I like the sound cleaner with out much processing, so i took it out.

in the 4 ways system, all units can goto nice and high SPL's but the ZA14 begins to audibly break up. The room is 28' long and I sit towards the rear. The Limitation is the ZA14 in this case...
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 01:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
I haven't heard the 18Sound, but i do have and have heard the B&C 6md38 which......wasn't on your list but meets all of your criteria and sounds excellent to my ears. A smooth FR, low HD, 95db avg sens and less than $100.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 02:17 PM   #9
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-amps View Post
Don't want to do that, the kick drums on the JBL are very satisfying.

Has no one heard the 18sound 6ND430's ? on Paper they seem to be the real deal.
I have the 6ND410s, not sure how much different they are not sure about > 3K Hz either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 02:54 PM   #10
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Brighton UK
Hi, B&C 6MD38-8 ? see Zaph|Audio, rgds, sreten.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
There is nothing so practical as a really good theory - Ludwig Boltzmann
When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail - Abraham Maslow
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vinyl searching? mikje Analogue Source 2 16th March 2009 06:28 AM
Searching... Cortez Forum Problems 1 27th April 2006 12:23 AM
searching for transistors DREW028 Solid State 9 26th March 2005 03:51 PM
What are some decent drivers for a small/mid size center channel speaker (1 mid,1 tw) kehi Multi-Way 24 21st December 2003 08:10 AM
Searching for this guy Guss The Lounge 1 3rd August 2003 11:04 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:07 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2