Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2003, 07:04 AM   #1
santa is offline santa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default An efficent two way

Hi, Thought I would post a pic of my new speaker project. I had been seeking a nice efficent bass/mid for a while. Played with a few
alignments and found a driver that would work well in the volume that I had available.
I choose the Eminence Beta 10a as the bass mid and used my Raven R2 crossed at 1800hz.18 db slope on the woofer and 36 db slope on the Raven. I also added 3 ohms in series with the Raven to up the Z a little.
Yeah, I know it sounds like a strange match but it does sound good. Real good. I found the Fs of the Beta's to be about 44 hz in free air so I tuned the 4.0 ft3 box to 38 hz. Wow. Still some work to do though. The mids are a bit forward but the woofers are still settling in and my zobel values are for another woofer but things look good.
Behind the port I placed a two inch mat of fiberglass and a piece of grey egg crate foam but a bit of the glass is visible in this off axis photo.
This winter when things cool down a bit here in central california I will apply a venneer finish and recess the drivers. Eventually I will obtain some instrumentation and take some acoustical measurements. But for now, I'm just listening and playing with Xo components.
Santa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0100.jpg (73.8 KB, 396 views)
Old 10th July 2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

Nice!
Old 10th July 2003, 11:57 PM   #3
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

I love pictures, good thinking Santa! Anyway, you mentioned that by placing the 3 ohm resistor in series with the Raven, you increased Z. Because it is a resistor and half of an L-pad, won't this resistor attenuate the Raven as well? Does the resistor add to the sound, more sparkle? TIA, Bose(o)
Old 11th July 2003, 02:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

how is the imaging with the woofer and tweeter that high in the cabinet?
Old 13th July 2003, 09:10 PM   #5
santa is offline santa  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes,Bose O the resistor does indeed attenuate the output a bit. As to adding sparkle, Not sure. I need more time to listen. What it did do was get the Z above the 2.5 ohm or so load that it presents to the amp. My cheapie A/V receiver did not like that load at all although my SE tube gear did not flinch.(Svetlana 572-10)
Imaging is fine. Nice fat sweet spot. I like the slightly elevated image presented.
Think i'll pull them away from the wall 6 inches further though.
Santa

Hide this!Advertise here!