Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2010, 12:41 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm still curious about the influence of coils rdc vs crossover's slope and woofer behaviour!
Download Passive Crossover Designer (free) and play. But if you are lazy here are some results: at 200Hz moving from 0,17 to 0,5 Ohm the SPL will be lowered by 0,4 dB, at 100Hz and 1KHz the difference is only of 0,1 dB. I frankly doubt that you can hear 0,4 dB in a blind test.

For a woofer like the scan-speak I would opt for an air core inductor. Large value inductors with large diameter wire are expensive, but a 2,7mH 2,0mm (0,33 ohm dcr) air core inductor costs about 50 Euro, that is a fraction of the cost of the woofer. You can try a lower cost ferrite core and decide if you hear the difference (you can find a 0,1-0,3 ohm ferrite core inductor in the 5-15 euro range).

Ralf
Old 14th October 2010, 05:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbro View Post
If the DC-resistance is too low, that's easy to fix. Just ad a series resistor to bring it up to the desired resistance. Simple addition of resistances when in series.
Yep - better advice than mine - i was hung up on modifying an existing coil.
Old 14th October 2010, 09:46 PM   #13
tamule is offline tamule  United States
diyAudio Member

You wrote that in your speaker you use an (huge) AIR coil. This coils are really expensive and really thick wired... why have you choosen this way and not a cored coil?
Are ferrite core/transformer coils not enought for your purposes? Do you think that the difference (distortion, core saturation) is worth the extra expense?

yes -they were expensive and worth it. I wanted air-core after reading about hysteresis losses and the ability of coil to change it's magnetic field with the signal. As long the desired DCR was met-I was willing to pay.
I wonder if any hi-end manufacturer uses 5- 8 lb inductors with their woofers?
Old 14th October 2010, 09:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks!
I'll try with an inexpensive ferrite core (low rdc) and then, once found the right amount of bsc and the impedance i want, i'll spend more money and go for air inductors. I think mundorf air coils, 2,5 or 3 mm.
Flat foil inductor are way expensive, don't know if it's wort the results... round wire should do a nice work anyway.
Choosing the right balance for crossover components is ever a pain for me. I'm tempted by high-end stuff, but I don't want to waste my money if the results are totally marginal or if I could spend it more effectively for more important parts of the speaker. (wiring, binding posts, "exotic" damping sheets, etc etc.)

Last edited by francorovereto; 14th October 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:13 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

ps: what about the question n. 1? How should I consider the baffle widht/height adding a consistent roundover to the edges?

In this case, should I consider to mantain the original (given) widht on A,B or C?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Roundover.gif (9.6 KB, 293 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 10:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ps: You all are very nice answering patiently to my doubts.
Old 15th October 2010, 07:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

The width/height is C.

Ralf
Old 16th October 2010, 09:45 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The answer is: C! Thanks. But let me be "avvocato del diavolo" for a minute.
Giralfino you say that the significant dimension is taken when the edge's curve reach 90 degrees, perpendicular to baffle. In this forum I have read in some debates that first diffraction effects begins to appear before reaching c, but the transiction to full radiation is way smoother.
Ok. But:
Given a bsc designed for a sharp edge (with "C" dimensions), the resulting diffraction behaviour of a rounded edge should be a little different I guess. Maybe a resulting smooth dip/peak in the response?
Old 17th October 2010, 08:45 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Anyone here?
Old 6th November 2010, 12:57 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

?

Hide this!Advertise here!