tri amping a jvc sp-555wd - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2010, 04:27 PM   #1
atnil is offline atnil  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default tri amping a jvc sp-555wd

I'm a newbie and I was thinking if it is possible to tri amp a pair of jvc sp-555wd speaker. Available for me now are a crossover (behringer cx2310) and equalizer (behringer fbq-15020).
Please recommend a mixer and amplifiers (assuming the spkr above is tri ampable) for this home setup.
Can I use car amplifiers? Please help me.
Old 12th October 2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Francec is offline Francec  Australia
Banned

Why do you want to tri-amp them? Do they work?

You can use car amps but you will need a 13.8 V (nominal 12V) supply that can give you a huge amount of Amperes, ................. and that will be expensive.

Frank
Old 12th October 2010, 06:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply. The pair of JVC SP-555WD is working. Its specs just in case: 3 way 3 spkr, 125w power handling cap, 210w music, 35hz- 20khz, 8ohms, 12" woofer, 10 cm mid. I want to triamp this pair of speaker because I can't find a reasonable price of speaker that are triampable ready (like QSC digital cinema series). Besides, I want to try triamping an old speaker before doing that to a more expensive pair.
Could you please show me how to do the tri amping on this pair of speaker?

"You can use car amps but you will need a 13.8 V (nominal 12V) supply that can give you a huge amount of Amperes, ................. and that will be expensive."

I was thinking of a regulated power supply to supply power to 3 car amps. The current rating of power supply will depend on the 3 amps rating. If this is not possible, I'll be using a power amp that will be recommended here in forum.
Old 14th October 2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Banned

What are the current crossover points and what sort of slope is used?

I used PCBs from Elliott Sound Products; active crossover P09 and P19 amps. Read the articles on the website.

3 car amps per speaker at, say, 20 Watts each (on the low side if you like rock) equals 60 Watts. 60 divided by 12 equals 5 Amps at a minimum. And you will need two of them.

Frank
Old 14th October 2010, 06:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

"What are the current crossover points and what sort of slope is used?"

A: Sorry I have no idea. I have no manual for this speaker. I know there's a passive crossover inside the speaker. The tweeter is 4 ohms and 8 ohms for Mid and Low.

"I used PCBs from Elliott Sound Products; active crossover P09 and P19 amps. Read the articles on the website."

A: Do I need to make a active crossover P09? ( Available for me now is a
an active crossover behringer cx2310). The P19 amp from Elliott Sound Products states "It could also be used as a midrange and/or tweeter amp in a tri-amped system". Does it mean I need 3 pcs of P19 amp? Is it sufficient to drive the Bass/Low?

"3 car amps per speaker at, say, 20 Watts each (on the low side if you like rock) equals 60 Watts. 60 divided by 12 equals 5 Amps at a minimum. And you will need two of them."

A: To clarify, I need two power supply? Can I just use one? Shouldn't the power supply Amperage rating equals SQRT of (Power/Resistance)?

Thank you for the reply.
Old 15th October 2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Banned

Unless you get some information about the speaker and do some basic research. no one can help you.

Frank
Old 16th October 2010, 02:13 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Frank,

This is the only info I can obtain from this vintage speaker:
External: JVC SP-555W 3 way 3 spkr, 125w power handling cap, 210w music, 35hz- 20khz, 8ohms
Internal: (1) 4 ohms Tweeter, (1) 8 ohms Midrange and (1) 8 ohms Bass
No manual can be obtain for this speaker.

If this speaker can't be tri amp because of missing information, is there a speaker that can be DIY to suit for tri amping? Anyone tried to do tri amping already?
Old 16th October 2010, 03:31 AM   #8
Banned

atnil,
There are plenty of service manuals for this speaker advertised on the web. Do a Google search. Maybe you need to buy one?

Frank
Old 16th October 2010, 05:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

A pair of multi-channel car amplifiers should provide all the channels you need to drive 6 speakers but powering them is a problem. Maybe you could power them from an automobile battery and keep it charged with a small battery charger that maintains a trickle charge to the cells.

Many of these multi-channel amps have built in crossovers that are adjustable in frequency, but they are designed for sub-woofers so the x-over frequency may not extend high enough for your particular speakers.

What you need to do is get someone with technical skills that can help you uncouple individual amplifiers inside each car amp and extend them out on seperate cables (probably with RCA plugs) that will connect to your electronic x-over outputs.

Because the speaker data is unknown you'll have to experiment a little, just like the rest of us, and do some research! (Google is your friend)

Here is a link to a magazine article that I just turned up by spending 10 minutes searching.
Active 3-Way Crossover (Silicon Chip, January 2003)
Silicon Chip Online - Active 3-Way Crossover for Loud Speaker Systems

It is a 3way Crossover project with adjustable x-over points, with a tuning table at the end of the article. Read it carefully and you should find a few answers to your questions. Let us know how you go.

Sound Dr
(from Down Under)
Old 16th October 2010, 12:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Frank, Sound Dr... thanks for sharing your time.

I have been thinking two ways to do the tri amping on this speaker. (Correct me please if I'm wrong)
First, Mixer--> Equalizer-->Active Xover-->P19-->Hi
-->P3A-->Mid
-->P3A-->Low

Second, Mixer--> Equalizer-->Active Xover-->Car amp1-->Hi
-->Car amp2-->Mid
-->Car amp3-->Low
Note: P19,P3A from Elliott Sound Products
I have already a Mixer,Equalizer and Active Xover
Car amp will be powered by Regulated power supply
All setup will be use for home only

Questions:
If I connect the P19 amp to the tweeter, do I need to have a 25uF cap in series with the tweeter? Is the 25uF sufficient? I guess The P3A will be directly connected to the Mid as well as the Low.

If car amp1 is 25w stereo and will be driving a two 4 ohms tweeter, then the current will be 5A. Am I right?
If car amp2 is 50w stereo and will be driving a two 8 ohms Midrange, then the current will be 5A. Likewise for the Bass
So, the Regulated power supply will be be rated 20A (5A allowance) and 12V. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!