DIY TANNOY DC 3000 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2010, 07:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY TANNOY DC 3000

Hi all thought i would post some pics of my diy dc3000 here are the build pics, The sound is pritty good but thay sound a little boxy do you think i should add a port of some kind i know the origonal tannoy dc 3000 had a sloted port on the back but i have not put one on. What sound differance would a port make this is my first diy speaker project. Any help would be great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speekers 018.JPG (685.1 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg speekerssssss 003.JPG (745.1 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg finished speakers 001.JPG (689.2 KB, 367 views)
Old 9th October 2010, 08:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default needs more internal sound absorbing material

Before you cut any holes for ports, I recommend you add some better absorbent substance to both the driver chambers and listen.
More absorbent, when suitably installed, will reduce the "boxy" sound.

Long-haired wool is best, or try the apparently similar wadding sold under the Soniqs brand name.
For Soniqs, look in:
www.world-designs.co.uk

Fibreglass, such as easily available from Hardware shops as roofing batts can be got to work well,
and somewhat better is Rockwool or Mineral Wool -{the same substance is known by both names}.

I will describe how to best position any absorbent if you want to try any of these.

Last edited by alan-1-b; 9th October 2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: to add a sentance
Old 9th October 2010, 08:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan-1-b View Post
Before you cut any holes for ports, I recommend you add some better absorbent substance to both the driver chambers and listen.
More absorbent, when suitably installed, will reduce the "boxy" sound.

Long-haired wool is best, or try the apparently similar wadding sold under the Soniqs brand name.
For Soniqs, look in:
World Designs Home Page

Fibreglass, such as easily available from Hardware shops as roofing batts can be got to work well,
and somewhat better is Rockwool or Mineral Wool -{the same substance is known by both names}.

I will describe how to best position any absorbent if you want to try any of these.
Hi thanks for reply i forgot to take a pic of the finshed damping i did add some of the origonal white wading that was in the the speakers but only a couple of sheets in each. Thay were dc 2000 but i just built the biger box
Old 9th October 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default layout is important

When you have time, take another Photo, or two, which show exactly how the white wadding is positioned in the cabinet, and Post the photo/s here.

Also, is it a semi-sealed surface wadding, or very open-weave surface ?

Type and positioning do make a difference to the sound.
Old 9th October 2010, 09:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan-1-b View Post
When you have time, take another Photo, or two, which show exactly how the white wadding is positioned in the cabinet, and Post the photo/s here.

Also, is it a semi-sealed surface wadding, or very open-weave surface ?

Type and positioning do make a difference to the sound.
Hi its a white wading with fluffy fure texture on both sides. In the unit that holds the tweter i have folded one from side to side and another bottom to top in an arc shape if you know what i mean and in the bottom one were the bass unit is i have just put one piece of wadding in same as the others in an arc shape. I have about 4 pieces left i did not put any wadding in the very bottom just the thick rubber carpet underlay
Old 9th October 2010, 09:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use white massam tops from these people for stuffing:
Wingham Wool Work - Quality Fibres and Accessories
Old 9th October 2010, 10:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I use white massam tops from these people for stuffing:
Wingham Wool Work - Quality Fibres and Accessories
Hi thanks for the link i still have some from the origanal tannoy speakers but not shure how tightly to pack the chambers, Is it just a case of keep adding till it sounds right. Do i add to both chambers or just the bass chamber
Old 9th October 2010, 10:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Both I'd say. Experimenting is the key here.
If you decide to port them you will need to leave a stuffing-free path between the driver(s) and the port.
I use Black Jack DPM to attach the damping material.
www.toolbank.com | Everproof DPM 5 Litre 908
Old 11th October 2010, 06:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi all thanks for all who helped i have added more wadding thay sound alot better now but i would like a bit more bass extention would adding a port give me that allso what size port and were to put it back or front. Thanks for any help
Old 11th October 2010, 09:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, adding a port would give you better bass extension. All their drivers are designed to be ported.
To determine the port area and length you need the Thiele/Small parameters.
Unfortunately I can't find them anywhere hence I suggest you contact Roger at Lockwood Audio.co.uk. He is very helpful and if anybody knows it'll be him. Lockwood have been working with Tannoy for about 50 years now and are the only Tannoy accredited supplier of spares for all drivers no matter how old.

Hide this!Advertise here!