DIY TANNOY DC 3000 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2010, 10:51 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Yes, adding a port would give you better bass extension. All their drivers are designed to be ported.
To determine the port area and length you need the Thiele/Small parameters.
Unfortunately I can't find them anywhere hence I suggest you contact Roger at Lockwood Audio.co.uk. He is very helpful and if anybody knows it'll be him. Lockwood have been working with Tannoy for about 50 years now and are the only Tannoy accredited supplier of spares for all drivers no matter how old.
Hi thanks a lot mate i will ask him then. Is it the size and length of the port i need, These speaker cabinets are same volume as the dc 3000 so could i just copy the position and size of port from them. I took the drivers cross overs from some tannoy dc 2000 i had i think thay share the same parts just a biger cabinet
Old 11th October 2010, 11:42 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If they do use the same drivers you should be ok taking the port dimensions of the DC3000. You can put the port where ever you like really. Personally I do not like ports on the rear as it limits where you can place the speakers.
Old 11th October 2010, 11:55 PM   #13
taloyd is offline taloyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Post separate the drivers!

Hello,

I'm pretty sure you should have a physical divider between the woofer and the coaxial driver (the top and the bottom), otherwise the woofer will be compressing the same air space as the coaxial, and you'll have some problems with that, IMHO.

cheers,
-Tal
Old 12th October 2010, 12:13 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I'd say if the original speakers were separated do it, if not don't bother.
Having both in the same compartment should be the same as having two woofers in one box. The woofer should be the same as the DualConcentric minus the tweeter.The tweeter itself does not open to the rear so it will be unaffected either way.
Again I suspect Roger would know more.
Old 12th October 2010, 01:12 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, adding a port would give you better bass extension. All their drivers are designed to be ported.
Although I agree that adding a port will give better bass extension, and personally I wouldn't hesitate, (except to do critical research )I have had a pair of the 611s, which superseded this model, and they had no ports. Sealed box. Two speakers - 1x DC 8" & 1x dedicated bass 8"
Old 12th October 2010, 01:36 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi all thanks again for your help i have sorter put devider from concentric driver and bass driver. Remember i took these out of dc 2000 which were not bad sounding but a bit bass lacking and i found the midrange a bit compresed. The sound with these biger cabinet tannoys is more open and natural but for me lacking that bottom end whichi exspected to be better. Thought i would mention that im feeding the speakers with a modified cd67 and 41hz amp which is great
Old 12th October 2010, 01:44 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If they do use the same drivers you should be ok taking the port dimensions of the DC3000. You can put the port where ever you like really. Personally I do not like ports on the rear as it limits where you can place the speakers.
Iknow what you mean i would rather put the port in the front then i wont have to worry about distance from wall too much. But how much could it change the sound of the speakers if i put the port on the front instead of the back
Old 12th October 2010, 11:39 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasAdamson View Post
Although I agree that adding a port will give better bass extension, and personally I wouldn't hesitate, (except to do critical research )I have had a pair of the 611s, which superseded this model, and they had no ports. Sealed box. Two speakers - 1x DC 8" & 1x dedicated bass 8"
You might be right there and I hang my head in shame!
In my defense the next model down in the Sixes series is ported and the model up uses a passive radiator and although I am somewhat of a Tannoy aficionado my interests lie mostly with their paper-coned drivers of 10" or more in diameter. I ended up with two LittleReds and a pair of DC4000s. Porting is essential for those as otherwise they start to roll off at 150Hz.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:18 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Sir Darwin, I didn't mean to be pompous and challenge your knowledge of the "evolution of the series." Perhaps my old 611s are somewhat of a "missing link."

Little reds - now you're talking - lovely drivers!
Old 12th October 2010, 12:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Indeed!
Which is why I bought the DC4000 which use the same driver as the LittleReds.
Better still I paid 175 for the pair, exactly half as much as I paid for the LittleReds!
Would like some Monitor Golds but the prices for those are ludicrous.

Hide this!Advertise here!