OB Project Design Started, Help Requested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are other options as well, such as crossing over in software via PC, using an external multi-channel sound interface.

I personally am going to build a 2-way open baffle system using a MiniDSP board and an amp I already have. Only thing left to do is buy a second stereo amp for the woofer channel. On the upside: no impedance measuremnts to do, no coils and caps to buy, (almost) no soldering, and as an added bonus I can do digital room correction, dipole roll-off equalisation, linkwitz transform, etc. With that amount of correction available, most TS-Parameters become "obsolete", pretty near all you need is Sd and Xmax for bass.

If you go the PC route, do you need to have it connected to the PC & PC running whilst playing music?

I love soldering.

I wouldn't mind to build some amps as long as there a fairly easy build, you know, join the dot's.

Doesn't all of this complex circuitry degrade the sound?

Once the digital signals are broken up into the seperate frequencies, you would then need to do DA conversion, which means 6 DA converters :eek:etc

wait a minute.. you never mentioned budget before.. :D

The AE drivers shouldn't be more expensive than the BMS drivers you were looking at. (..which btw, others have reported as being considerably less efficient than stated on their website.)

If you want something simple.. well, you are looking at the wrong design. A good dipole design isn't going to be truly simple, and a passive implementation will significantly increase complexity.

Suggestion: Do what I did for one of my designs.. just get some midbass drivers that are suitable with a bit of resistance from a large cored inductor (in series with the two paralleled drivers), and don't worry about lower freq.s.. Here are some:

Dayton PA255-8 10" Pro Woofer | Parts-Express.com

Ah yes, theres always a budget, the BMS drivers turned out to be more than I have been lead to believe by false advertising. Unless a bundle of money falls in my lap, 4 drivers that expensive wont be on the list.

I think I am hooked & convinced that I will probably need to be active, I dont want to make things difficult for myself:D

Think, that way I can build the speakers & the amps, fun ,fun, fun

Ah yes, theres always a budget, the BMS drivers turned out to be more than I have been lead to believe by false advertising. Unless a bundle of money falls in my lap, 4 drivers that expensive wont be on the list.

I think I am hooked & convinced that I will probably need to be active, I dont want to make things difficult for myself:D

Think, that way I can build the speakers & the amps, fun ,fun, fun
There are a lot of amp-modules discussed here that is with a bit soldering easy to do. Or like I do with class-d modules they are more expensive then a module.

Or search the second hand market for some qaulity low price amplifiers pioneer or so, with source direct switch.

Or just buy new yamaha ax 397 95W 4ohm (australian market is exspensive i see in netherlands the ax397 cost only 232 australian dollar).
yamaha-AX-397-blk.jpg

yammi Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Hi-Fi Components - AX-397 and AX-497

Prices uk http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sp/yamaha-ax-397.html

Last edited:
It look promising this driver high Q for pa with fs 55Hz I would like to simulate these two in series, only poor data.

12-Inch Paper Cone PA Driver - Jaycar Electronics
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Back to back and make a dipole.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CT2023&CATID=15&form=CAT&SUBCATID=645

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5150&CATID=25&form=CAT&SUBCATID=557

Last edited:
There are a lot of amp-modules discussed here that is with a bit soldering easy to do. Or like I do with class-d modules they are more expensive then a module.

Or search the second hand market for some qaulity low price amplifiers pioneer or so, with source direct switch.

Or just buy new yamaha ax 397 95W 4ohm (australian market is exspensive i see in netherlands the ax397 cost only 232 australian dollar).

yammi Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Hi-Fi Components - AX-397 and AX-497

Prices uk http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sp/yamaha-ax-397.html

Yes you are right the Australian market is expensive, small population & a long way to bring goods I guess.

I have a 7:1 AV reciever that has enough channels, I wonder if that could be used somehow? The movie makers manange to get different sound coming out of different speakers.

I have a 7:1 AV reciever that has enough channels, I wonder if that could be used somehow? The movie makers manange to get different sound coming out of different speakers.
You can't use the sound control features of the AV receiver. But if it features a DVD multichannel input, you can use the 6 built-in amplifiers at your will and get a 6 channel volume control for free - just where it works best.

Rudolf

If you know of any hi efficieny, 12" drives with a Qts of about 0.7 & a xmax of 6+ let me know, all suggestions are welcome.
Efficency and xmax tend to be inversely correlated so you'll have a hard time with that. Beyma 12G40 could be worth a look but, like the 12PW5, its Fs is on the high side and modifying the spider is probably more than you want to get into here.

You can't use the sound control features of the AV receiver. But if it features a DVD multichannel input, you can use the 6 built-in amplifiers at your will and get a 6 channel volume control for free - just where it works best.

Rudolf

Is this the sort of input you where thinking of? If it is what would I use, to get the signal split up into its component frequencies.

This is getting exciting:D

Attachments

• Reciever Back Panel.JPG
    Reciever Back Panel.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Reviever Instructions.JPG
    Reviever Instructions.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 82
Is this the sort of input you where thinking of? If it is what would I use, to get the signal split up into its component frequencies.

Yes, exactly. It looks suspiciously like my own Onkyo receiver :). Behind the input you get a 6 channel volume control and the option to give each channel an individual attenuation. And 6 amplifiers of course.

The means for splitting up the frequencies are multiple: A PC with a 7.1 soundcard, a DBX driverack, Alto maxidrive, Behringer DCX2496 or some miniDSP boards.

Yes, exactly. It looks suspiciously like my own Onkyo receiver :). Behind the input you get a 6 channel volume control and the option to give each channel an individual attenuation. And 6 amplifiers of course.

The means for splitting up the frequencies are multiple: A PC with a 7.1 soundcard, a DBX driverack, Alto maxidrive, Behringer DCX2496 or some miniDSP boards.

It probably looks like your Onkyo becauses it's an Integra which is made by Onkyo:).

I will spend some time researching the option before I dive in, the exciting thing is I already have my OB connected to the reciever, all I need is one of the controller/equalisers a couple of extra cables, change a few connections & off I go, oh and a lot more knowledge.

thanks for the help

Thanks everybody & a special mention to Helmuth who has been a tireless supplier of help, thanks.

Last edited:
John_E_Janowitz

Who I assume is from AE Speakers has suggested I go for the Diploe15's Acoustic Elegance • View topic - Dipole10, Dipole12, Dipole15 parameters

they are not as efficent as I was looking for, but if I'm going active & it looks like I am, a single pair of these may be the way to go. Only need to buy two, only need to ship two.

What do you think?

1X 12" is 16ohm parralel a other makes 8ohm. Simulation (0,5W) show very poor efficiency, this means problems with matching with mid and high efficiency in a passive configuration. When you parallel two ad 6dB to efficiency.

With 1W it is 70dB at 40Hz with two driver at a side it is very nice.

Thanks everybody & a special mention to Helmuth who has been a tireless supplier of help, thanks.

I want to make a passive OB in the near future so at has my attention to. Nice to see that the amplifier is already there only connect the DSP to the dvd 7.1 input. You have to make a passive preamp to connect the souces so you can switch and use the onkyo only as endstage.

Attachments

• ae.JPG
    ae.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
How to use horn response for OB. It is a great tool fast and easy thanks to David J mcBean.

At combined response with R I mean half diameter of the used driver. Or more if the distance from front to back is bigger.

The series resistance can also be the Re of the driver witch is in series with your simulated driver.

Attachments

• horn response.JPG
    horn response.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
1X 12" is 16ohm parralel a other makes 8ohm. Simulation (0,5W) show very poor efficiency, this means problems with matching with mid and high efficiency in a passive configuration. When you parallel two ad 6dB to efficiency.

With 1W it is 70dB at 40Hz with two driver at a side it is very nice.

I want to make a passive OB in the near future so at has my attention to. Nice to see that the amplifier is already there only connect the DSP to the dvd 7.1 input. You have to make a passive preamp to connect the souces so you can switch and use the onkyo only as endstage.

Maybe you misread my post, John was recommending 1x Dipole15, I think, not 12"?:)

Why are you thinking about going passive, after all I have read & been told about active being, easier & superior?

I also have a Audio Note preamp (dont really know what a passive preamp is?) that I bought cheap from Lithuania. Would it do?

I notice the Behringer has balanced plugs, I assume I will need to get a plug with balanced on one end & RCA or Coaxil on the other. I want to play the music from my Logitech Squeezebox.

John_E_Janowitz

Who I assume is from AE Speakers has suggested I go for the Diploe15's Acoustic Elegance • View topic - Dipole10, Dipole12, Dipole15 parameters

they are not as efficent as I was looking for, but if I'm going active & it looks like I am, a single pair of these may be the way to go. Only need to buy two, only need to ship two.

What do you think?

I'm using a single Dipole 15 per side in these and am having no output shortage yet. Eq'ing them flat to 30Hz and then a rolloff below to prevent excessive excursion.

Greg

Attachments

• Chair baffle2 small.jpg
    Chair baffle2 small.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMGP0084.JPG
    IMGP0084.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 330
Maybe you misread my post, John was recommending 1x Dipole15, I think, not 12"?:)

Why are you thinking about going passive, after all I have read & been told about active being, easier & superior?.
Ok

I also have a Audio Note preamp (dont really know what a passive preamp is?) that I bought cheap from Lithuania. Would it do?
A passive preamp isn't a amp only potentiometer and switch. Sometimes there is a audio transformer involved

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.