OB Project Design Started, Help Requested. - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 09:46 AM   #451
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry I fell asleep on the job, they are 98% finished and are playing as they are. I still have to make some wire covers for the speaker terminal connections on the actual mid & tweeter drivers & hopefully take some better photos when my brother brings his camera over.

The front is the side without the screws that where necessary to hold the men together.

I would like to thank everybody that has helped in this long long build, especially Helmuth for all of the advice in the early stages, 56 for all of his encouragement, Andy for getting the screws I wanted & shipping them to Australia, my brother for making the lizards & generally getting in the way only kidding and everybody else who has either encouraged me and or given advice, the list is long.

If you look at the first page & then the last you will get a good idea of the journey.

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-01-20 DQ OB Finished01.jpg (400.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 13-01-20 DQ OB Finished01_3.JPG (505.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 13-01-20 DQ OB Finished01_2.JPG (367.4 KB, 170 views)
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:02 AM   #452
56oval is offline 56oval  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi D
No thanks needed mate ,its been great watching you put your projects together your a real craftsman .I hope I have atleast half your building skills .

Regards

Malcolm
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:47 PM   #453
diyAudio Member

They look fabulous. Job well done, sir!

I'd like to caution all of my virtual DIY friends using the Neo series, especially the Neo10 to be extra careful with their drivers. I would not recommend soldering on the terminals. I am an expert solderer(taught cable and circuit board soldering for 5 years) and it seems that even so, after several rounds of connecting and disconnecting, that I may have damaged mine. See here for a round of testing done on mine with a Praxis system:

BG Neo10 Testing

We are not sure that soldering/heat is what caused the problems, BUT one of the 4 drivers is new due to an oscillator accident burning one out about 6 months ago and it is the cleanest measuring of the bunch. That one has never been soldered to, only used with crimp-on terminals.

Even so, I still maintain that these are the best mids I've heard to date when used within their limits. I bought and tested nearly a dozen different mids for my project and the Neo10 sounded the best to my ears and worked into the design perfectly.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0991.JPG (87.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:59 PM   #454
diyAudio Member

DQ828 should you get sick of looking at them, there is always a place for them at my house

The level of skill on this forum never ceases to amaze me.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:10 PM   #455
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

So the waf factor is high enough now, very nice.

They will look like this.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th January 2013, 01:22 PM   #456
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Impressive!!!
Congratulations! These are the best-looking DIY speakers I've seen so far, and better than the vast majority of commercial speakers out there.
Knowing that a DIYer can make such beautiful speakers gives the rest of us hope in our speaker-building endeavors...
Old 29th January 2013, 07:12 AM   #457
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
Impressive!!!
Congratulations! These are the best-looking DIY speakers I've seen so far, and better than the vast majority of commercial speakers out there.
Knowing that a DIYer can make such beautiful speakers gives the rest of us hope in our speaker-building endeavors...
Thank you
Old 29th January 2013, 07:15 AM   #458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
They look fabulous. Job well done, sir!

I'd like to caution all of my virtual DIY friends using the Neo series, especially the Neo10 to be extra careful with their drivers. I would not recommend soldering on the terminals. I am an expert solderer(taught cable and circuit board soldering for 5 years) and it seems that even so, after several rounds of connecting and disconnecting, that I may have damaged mine. See here for a round of testing done on mine with a Praxis system:

BG Neo10 Testing

We are not sure that soldering/heat is what caused the problems, BUT one of the 4 drivers is new due to an oscillator accident burning one out about 6 months ago and it is the cleanest measuring of the bunch. That one has never been soldered to, only used with crimp-on terminals.

Even so, I still maintain that these are the best mids I've heard to date when used within their limits. I bought and tested nearly a dozen different mids for my project and the Neo10 sounded the best to my ears and worked into the design perfectly.

Greg
One thing I didn't consider in all of this is, if the Neo 10 & or 3 go out of production & I have a failure I'm going to be in all sorts of trouble, with cone speakers you can usually find a replacement of some sort.

I was very careful when I soldered the leads to the drivers, they still sound great.

Last edited by DQ828; 29th January 2013 at 07:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!