OB Project Design Started, Help Requested. - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2013, 11:39 AM   #441
diyAudio Member

bellissimo
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:09 AM   #442
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
Number 2 is almost done,...
It has been a long time since I was back here. Really great to see your progress. It looks FANTASTIC!
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:36 AM   #443
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks gentlemen.

When I put the 2nd speaker together late last night I forgot to put the infill panel in below the mid driver, so when I went down this morning to wire it up the first thing I saw was the infill panel sitting on the bench, doop.

It turned out not to be a difficult as I first thought to put in the panel. I needed to support the body so I could remove two of the bolts holding the body to the box, I thought it was fitting to use a couple of pillows to do it

I am now making the grill covers, I am custom fitting each one to ensure a good fit. I thought I would just build one first as I'm not sure how they will workout,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-1-3 DQ OB01.JPG (638.6 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 13-1-3 DQ OB01_1.JPG (561.2 KB, 173 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:20 PM   #444
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

You sure do good work. Very cool and professional looking. I know they will sound great too.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:17 AM   #445
diyAudio Member

Thanks djn.

Yesterday started ok, did some work on the test grill surround getting ready to cover it. I had the surround ready for covering when I had to duck off the the doctors to have a cyst removed from my back, which I thought was going to be a doodle, I should have known better. After waiting an interminable amount of time the doctor was finally ready to see me, well as it turned out he didn't know why I was there & suggested that I should make an appointment to get the cyst removed, I advised him that was why I was here, he appeared a bit flustered but managed to rustle up some grumpy nurse to assist. The minor op which I thought would take about 5 minutes went on for what seemed like forever with the doctor tugging & pulling at my numb back while complaining about the blunt scissors & giving me a blow by blow description of what was going on. I polity suggested the he cease & desist with the graphics as I wasn't far from throwing up all over the bed. Eventually the agony (metal not physical) stopped, by which time I was a ball of sweat, I sat up just in time for the doctor to walk past & hold up a plastic container with a huge chunk on my back in it and pronounce, " she was a beauty alright" he then walked straight out of the room & left me on my own. Well within seconds of him leaving, the room was spinning, my mouth was watering & I came VERY close to throwing up & passing out on the floor all at once. Fortunately I had the mental where for all to lay back down on the bed. Eventually the nurse came back in, I regained some of my composure (some was lost forever Click the image to open in full size.) and the nurse bandaged me back up and sent me off. I then shakily drove home to recommence festivities in the garage.

In retrospect I probably should have taken the rest of the day off, but I didn't. I started covering the test grill cover & it wasn't going all that well, when I got to the corners things where really starting to fall apart and I didn't have my normal composure to step back & think it through, instead I thought I would remove the masking tape from the speaker so I could fit the cover when it was finished, well that's where things really went to HELL. When I was removing the tape it pulled off some of the water based clear coat I had put on the speakers, it did this in a location that wont be seen but you may as well have stabbed me with a knife (I had two onlookers by this time which really didn't help either) to say I was devastated is an understatement, I returned to the grill cover and things just kept getting worse. It wasn't long before I was hacking at the grill cover with a pair of scissors like someone out of a Alfred Hitchcock movie, I suspect the onlookers where thinking of calling the men with the padded suit to give me a fitting.

Anyway I did some repairs that will just have to do, but the virgin has been forever defiled.

Today I had another go at the grill cover & as you will see in the photo it doesn't look too bad, I think I have finally worked out a system to get the covers the way I want them which means I will have to pull this one apart one more time & hopefully make the next three only once, given my track record that's probably wishful thinking.

For reference the other photo shows the blue masking tape that I removed.

I have failed in my mission to get the speakers completely finished before returning to work, there it still tomorrow but I am putting up the white flag for the moment. I have taken the speakers back to my bedroom where they belong so I can recharge my batteries with some beautiful music, the covers will just have to wait.

Hopefully next weekend I will be install speakers I my sons car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-1-3 DQ OB01_1.JPG (561.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 13-1-5 DQ OB01.JPG (602.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 6th January 2013, 01:53 AM   #446
diyAudio Member

Sorry to hear about all the troubles today. I'm pretty squeemish to, so I might have gone over the edge and puked right there. My brother had a vasectomy last year and the doctor asked if he cared to have a look while it was happening! Has ANYONE ever said, "sure, thanks doc!"?

Speakers are really coming together nicely. The home stretch with all of the fiddly bits is the toughest part to push through. I am too lazy to look back through the thread, so how are crossing over/driving these? Active?

Greg
Old 6th January 2013, 01:57 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

You've come too far to rush now... deep breathe and wait for next weekend. We can all wait another week.
Old 6th January 2013, 03:29 AM   #448
56oval is offline 56oval  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
You've come too far to rush now... deep breathe and wait for next weekend. We can all wait another week.
HI D

As SS suggested step back take 5 and recover .

CHeers
Old 6th January 2013, 03:39 AM   #449
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56oval View Post
HI D

As SS suggested step back take 5 and recover .

CHeers
There is (at least) 6 in a pack of beers up in Queensland
Old 6th January 2013, 05:31 AM   #450
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the support I appreciate it greatly.

The crossover is a modified Linkwitz ASP, so yes it's active, that was a hell of a learning curve.

Hide this!Advertise here!