OB Project Design Started, Help Requested. - Page 42 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th November 2012, 08:11 AM   #411
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56oval View Post
What brand is the Bumper texture and do you have a link to the product . Acrylic lacquer is a single step product use with the required thinners and spray not water based .

Search on the NETT for its TDS.

As for cables I'm going with MOGAMI® - Bulk Cables

Cheers
The Bumper Texture is, or was, made by K&H, which have been taken over by 3M, it is very hard to find any data on the product & it doesn't show up in the 3M K&H Product list, I had some info on in but now I cannot find it. The info I had indicated you couldn't use 2K finishes over it hence the Acrylic Lacquer.

I'm a bit lost by what you mean with "Search on the NETT for its TDS."
Old 11th November 2012, 09:02 AM   #412
56oval is offline 56oval  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
The Bumper Texture is, or was, made by K&H, which have been taken over by 3M, it is very hard to find any data on the product & it doesn't show up in the 3M K&H Product list, I had some info on in but now I cannot find it. The info I had indicated you couldn't use 2K finishes over it hence the Acrylic Lacquer.

I'm a bit lost by what you mean with "Search on the NETT for its TDS."
Sorry David , Technical Data sheet .

I would say just use a acrylic paint with the correct thinners .

Is it
SMASH SUPPLIES :: Paint :: K&H Bumper Coat 1lt

http://solutions.3m.com.au/3MContent...bute=ImageFile

Cheers
Old 11th November 2012, 11:34 PM   #413
diyAudio Member

At about 11:45pm while I was trying to get to sleep the words "Technical Data sheet" popped into my head

This is the product, your previous advice would still stand with this product as well.

SMASH SUPPLIES :: Paint :: K&H Bumper Texture Coat Black 1lt
Old 12th November 2012, 04:17 AM   #414
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
At about 11:45pm while I was trying to get to sleep the words "Technical Data sheet" popped into my head

This is the product, your previous advice would still stand with this product as well.

SMASH SUPPLIES :: Paint :: K&H Bumper Texture Coat Black 1lt
I have called #M & they cannot find it in their system, it may have been discontinued I better go out & buy another can, then of course if it doesn't do the job I'm stuck with 2 cans of bumper texture coat
Old 24th November 2012, 09:15 AM   #415
diyAudio Member

I don't think it's ever going to end!

I had just finished spraying the texture coat on the base boxes when I found a blob of something on one of the sides that was still wet, and of course it wasn't on the bottom. Initially I managed to get get most of it off, but when I tried to get that last little bit off, it turned into the disaster you see in the photo. There's always tomorrow I guess, I was hoping to spray the topcoat tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-11-24 DQ OB Spraying01.JPG (589.3 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg 12-11-24 DQ OB Spraying01_2.JPG (516.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 12-11-24 DQ OB Spraying01_1.JPG (607.3 KB, 179 views)
Old 24th November 2012, 11:21 PM   #416
diyAudio Member

Its a prick when something like that happens .What was it a peice of unmixed product in the paint .

What you really need to do is strain it through a filter into another container then pour it back into the can to remove contaminants .

I roll masking tape back on itself to make it double sided and press lightly on the foreign particle to remove it . But you need to do this while the paints wet .

Looking really nice David .

Cheers

Mal
Old 25th November 2012, 05:01 AM   #417
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its a prick when something like that happens .What was it a peice of unmixed product in the paint .

What you really need to do is strain it through a filter into another container then pour it back into the can to remove contaminants .

I roll masking tape back on itself to make it double sided and press lightly on the foreign particle to remove it . But you need to do this while the paints wet .

Looking really nice David .

Cheers

Mal
I'm not sure what it was, it was too large to have come out of the gun & it wasn't wriggling so it wasn't a bug, it was just a piece of bad luck

I did the respray today & am happy to report all went well.

Originally I was going to spray the colour coat on all surfaces but have decided to only coat the outside of the large boxes as that is all you will see once the grill covers go on.

Getting a good coat inside the boxes is a real challenge.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:12 AM   #418
diyAudio Member

Default Denibbing

While I was at the auto shop buying the paint I saw this De-nibbing tool & sanding pads 3M? Perfect-It? Denibbing System - YouTube, great idea but a bit expensive so I made my own which I will use in my Dremel.

I used an old dremel bit, Araldited on a Western Red Cedar disc, which was cut using a sharpened piece of SS curtain rod, I then sanded the disc so it was perfectly round, coated the end of the in Araldite, stuck on a piece of self adhesive hook & loop, cut a disc of P1500 grit hook & loop paper & $350.00 was saved, the $350.00 doesn't include the pad larger disc sander in the clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-11-24 Denibbing01_2.JPG (702.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 12-11-24 Denibbing01_1.JPG (438.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 12-11-24 Denibbing01.JPG (551.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 25th November 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:38 AM   #419
diyAudio Member

Cool , how about the foam between the sand paper and the arb .Have you used it yet ,make sure it doesn't run off across the job with something hard like the red cedar as a cushion.

Theres some great little tools out there .

CHeers
Old 26th November 2012, 06:53 AM   #420
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Cool , how about the foam between the sand paper and the arb .Have you used it yet ,make sure it doesn't run off across the job with something hard like the red cedar as a cushion.

Theres some great little tools out there .

CHeers
Hmm, maybe there is a design change in the offing, I probably have a bit of foam somewhere.
The Velcro does add a little bit of give, I have tested it but not on the actual finish, I was thinking of making an even smaller one, there is a couple of minor dirt flecks that I could sand out before the finish coats.

Hide this!Advertise here!